AVIC411.com

Newbie Questions - N3!

Hello,

I currently own a Pioneer AVHP6600DVD unit w/6.5" Screen with the ground break wire hack so I can watch movies while driving.

I am going to upgrade to the AVIC-N3 because I am terrible with directions and always get lost... this will be my first navigation unit from Pioneer.

I've read briefly through the forums and understand that the Avic N3 is extremly limited out of the box and it doesnt allow you to watch movies while driving.

Few questions

1) Is there any other way to enable dvd playback during drive without removing the void warranty sticker on the back? -- i don't want to void the warranty

2) What do I have to buy separately to enable voice command? (Microphone, anything else?)

3) What is the software version on the N3? is the 60 version or something more advanced?

4) Does the CDB-IB100 ipod accessory connect to it using the IPBUS connector - same concept as my avhp6600 dvd deck?

5) Does the AVIC-N3 come with a remote?

Thanks! any other info you feel a newbie like me needs to know, please feel free to tell me.
1) Is there any other way to enable dvd playback during drive without removing the void warranty sticker on the back? -- i don't want to void the warranty

I beleive you can run an rca from the video output to the rear cam input. Then hook a toggle switch up to the reverse wire. The downside of doing it that way is you'll have objects are closer than hey appear along the bottom of the screen.

2) What do I have to buy separately to enable voice command? (Microphone, anything else?)

Yes you'll need the CD-VC1. Which comes with the microphone and a steering wheel mounted remote.

3) What is the software version on the N3? is the 60 version or something more advanced?

The software is the cdnv-60 which is the most current map set availible from pioneer.

4) Does the CDB-IB100 ipod accessory connect to it using the IPBUS connector - same concept as my avhp6600 dvd deck?

Yup same connector and all.

5) Does the AVIC-N3 come with a remote?

No, but like I said earlier if you get the voice control thing it comes with a remote.

Hope that helps.
But even if you do run the video out to the rear camera in, it will not bypass any of the lockouts for the navigation functions while the car is moving.

Also, if you put a toggle switch on the reverse wire, won't that mess up the navigation because you are telling the nav system you are going in reverse when in reality you are moving forward?