AVIC411.com

May have to sell me D3...

Hey guys, I just bought an 02' Tahoe and was planning to install my D3, that I had in my previous car for a total of about a month, in it. My buddy had a double din unit in his yukon and I just assumed my D3 would fit great in my tahoe...Little did I know the 02's-older have to be modified :(

I've read some threads on some guys doing it but I'm just real worried about cutting the trim piece and screwing something up so it never looks right.

So, I'm toying with the idea of selling it unfortunatley. Just curious what anyone thinks would be a good asking price for it? I hate to get rid of the thing because I hardly even got a chance to get used to it but I really want a clean look in my new truck. I think I paid $800 for when I bought it. If anyones actually interested in it hit me up at jroth142@yahoo.com and I'll shoot you pics.

If it's my thread where you saw the trim cutting, that's just because I'm very particular about things looking absolutely factory.

You can buy an 03-up double-DIN bezel and inner structure. Then any necessary cutting will be on the inside, out of sight. Most people seem satisfied with this solution, I think I am the only person in existence bothered enough by the poor climate control fitment in the 03 bezel to go to the trouble to modify my existing bezel.

Really?!! I'm pretty particular about things looking clean as well but I wasn't even aware that you could go the route. I had to do some serious mods when I put it in my 04 maxima so I'm no stanger to that, I just really want that factory look too and that's why I was considering selling the D3 for a smaller unit.

I definitely need to look into that though! Thanks

Yeah, I don't know if they still have old posts, but there was a lengthy discussion with pics about double-DIN conversions on clubavalanche.com about 2yrs ago when I did my conversion.

To use the 03 inner structure and bezel, I think you have to modify the mounting on the climate control, but that shouldn't show. Unfortunately, the opening on the 03 bezel is taller and narrower. I think OFF on the left side and whatever icon or label is on the far right will be partially obscured. There may be a tiny gap at the top and bottom and gaps on the edges because the 99-02 climate control face is curved while the bezel is designed for the flat face of the 03-07. This is stuff that bothered me, but most people didn't seem to notice or care. You'll have to take a look at some pics and judge for yourself.

Other than a double-DIN conversion, your options are limited to popout single DINs which look cheesy IMO, or the JVC KD-NX5000 which looks a bit small (its LCD is only 3.5", same size as an iPhone).

I appreciate the info. I've actually been looking at that kenwood unit already. I've read mixed reviews on the nav software. Sounds like a great unit other than that though. I'll see if I can dig up some pics of the 03' trim install and judge for myself if I can be happy with it or not.

Thanks again