AVIC411.com

NEWBIE QUESTION...CONNECTING WIRES

Hey,

This is my first unit that i am installing, and I wanted to clarify something. In terms of the wiring installation of the F900, do I just solder the corresponding colors fo the metra wire harness to the avic unit wire harness (match the color to the wire harness colors), and then plug the metra wire harness to the plug in my car? Or is anything more complicated than that...

Which wires on any of the wire harness (metra wire harness, or avic harness) would be left hangin (unplugged)?

THANKS!!!

Yep, just match the colors from your Metra harness and connect those to the same colored wires coming out of the Pioneer harness and then plug the Metra end into your factory wiring harness. I'm a big fan of using solder and heat-shrink tubing; makes for a bulletproof installation. As far as which wires from your Metra will be left over (unconnected to your Pioneer), that depends on your vehicle and what it has - e.g.; if you have no need to connect the blue power antenna wire, then just leave it hangin'. And be sure and do the bypass as described in the sticky posting in the "Hacks" thread.

THANKS A LOT!!! THIS REALLY HELPS ME GAIN CONFIDENCE AS I WILL BE APPROACHING INSTALLATION THIS WEEKEND!!

My car is an 08 Altima Sedan 2.5S, and I have the antenna adapter as for it...so i guess i do have to use the blue wire. Based on my understanding, one end plugs in directly into my avic unit and the other has to be solders with the blue wire on teh metra harnesss...

Also, would it be easier to connect all the wires ahead of installation in the comfort of a more lit home, and then go ahead and install the unit??

THANKS!!

If you're installing an antenna adapter (to convert your smaller factory antenna connection to a standard plug-in type required by the AVIC), then yes, you will have to connect the blue antenna wire from the Pioneer harness to the blue wire of your antenna adapter. And definitely do all your wiring/soldering in the house - no need to do all that in the car. ;)

jsut for clarification..

above - when you said "if you have no need to connect the blue power antenna wire, then just leave it hangin'" - did you mean the blue wire from the metra harness, or the blue one from the pioneer unit..

Please excuse me if i am being annoying or not understanding - i just want to make sure that I am doing the right thing, and you have no idea how much you are helping me..

THANKS A MILLION!! :D

jsut for clarification..

above - when you said "if you have no need to connect the blue power antenna wire, then just leave it hangin'" - did you mean the blue wire from the metra harness, or the blue one from the pioneer unit..

Please excuse me if i am being annoying or not understanding - i just want to make sure that I am doing the right thing, and you have no idea how much you are helping me..

THANKS A MILLION!! :D

jsut for clarification..

Any wire you don't need to connect, you can leave hangin' from either (or both) harness - doesn't matter, since you don't need it. Or, go ahead and connect them all - that wouldn't hurt either.

is the illumination wire part of the wiring harness and regular connecting the colors between the car and the wire harness OR is there something different i have to do in order to connect/find my illumination wire so that it can work.

THANKS!!!!

It should work fine if you just connect the orange/white wire from the Pioneer harness to the same wire on the Metra harness. Some cars are different, though...I did an '05 Mustang that only worked correctly when I tapped the illumination wire right at the headlight switch and connected that to the orange/white on the Pioneer harness (as opposed to connecting the orange/white wire off the Pioneer harness to the Metra one).

the best thing to do will be to connect all the wires, including illumination. the only one in your case which you MAY not need would be remote turn on, which is blue also and has a hang tag on it saying "remote turn on" or something of the like. this only isn't needed if you don't have amps. it's easy to do...

so my assumption from here on is that the illumination wire is part of the metra wire harness...am i correct to assume that?

Also, NickyD32, I did not understand what you meant by your last sentence - "this only isn't needed if you don't have amps. it's easy to do..." - plea clarfy.

THANKS!!

quick question:

i have two harnesses, and a power cable that came with the unit.

one harness plugs into my car, and the other unit plugs into the head unit, and the two harnesses connect in the middle. where do i cut all the cables to reconnect? i am assuming i cut the harness that goes from the head unit to the car harness, then reconnect to the power cable? which basically means im cutting off the black connector to the harness and replacing it with the power cable from the unit.

or do i cut the harness that connects to the car, then reconnect to the power cable, essentially making the harness that connects the head unit to the car harness unnecessary?

another thing, I do not have a soldering iron, is it completely necessary to soler this or can you strip, twist and tape, or will that not be sufficient?

thanks for any answers, I know i sound like an idiot but i really want to do this myself.