AVIC411.com

think im screwed

I had a friend trying to help me install my d3 and he spliced into the power for the cig lighter instead of the power for the radio harness. This popped the fuse on the back of the nav unit but there was a puff of smoke first. Now the unit keeps popping fuses, my guess is that it shorted something internally and that’s why we keep loosing fuses now. Does this sound about right? Can this be fixed or is the unit toast?

run the power from the harness. also check to see if the ground is good. re connect the ignition and power wires. normally fuses pop from direct grounds. if this doesnt work, you probably have a bigger issue....its worth a try to re wire those wires though....what type of vehicle is it? because some you need to run your own power wire

if it keeps blowing fuses there is an internal issue, probably a diode blown. question is what wire did your friend tie into on the cig lighter? sounds like he may have tied the ground to a power line, if he had tied power to power even at the cig lighter this would not have blown a fuse or smoked the unit. where did you get the unit from? if your friend did indeed tie power to power and ground to ground then you may be able to take the unit back for an exchange.

• 1 month later...