AVIC411.com

AVIC-F500BT, No love?

Just like the title says, I am new to this forum and have been reading countless info on all the avic's but this one.

I am thinking about buying the AVIC-F500bt because I want to use it for ipod and navigation and I like the fact that I can hide it so it wont be exposed like the other AVIC models.

Anyhow, my question would be, will this unit have the same NAVIGATION and IPOD problems found in the other AVIC units? I noticed pioneer has no software update for this unit so does that mean its in tip-top shape (doubt it). The price on the 90BT has dropped significantly and it is tempting but I just dont want my car to get broken into. Have had too many of those incidents in the past.

Any feedback from first hand owners would be great! Thanks.

I just spoke to a pioneer representative and they told me the AVIC-F500BT did not have any problems and did not need the firmware update like the rest of the AVIC units.

Should I believe her and just go ahead and buy it? I would like to believe her but I dont. I am certain there is going to be a bug somewhere and feel its too good to be true.

I guess I can just buy it and return it if I have problems.

Anyone else have the AVIC-F500BT? Thanks.

Thanks melrob1106, that is really helpful. I know that the firmware update improved some of the issues on the AVIC units. These issues you speak of for the 500bt, are they the one ones prevalent before the firmware update or issues that still remain despite the firmware update? Thanks, hope that makes sense.

So then that means people who have the avic-500bt will have all the problems encountered when the other Avic units were first released? If so then thats a good reason for me not to buy it because pioneer has no update for the AVIC-F500BT. I guess the rep. didnt know what she was talking about, not surprised. :?

The 500's we received came direct from Japan. they do have the latest software loaded. We were hoping that they may have fixed all the latest issues, but no luck. I love the 500 and I'm really bummed we cant offer it to a customer. it really fills a void in the market place. I have to tell you the Ipod works great all the way around including the conversational voice. My biggest problems are with the blooth tooth and the boot up times. Some people might be ok with it, but until the unit is 99% I dont think I could recomend it to anyone. Then again for the price it has the ipod and navi. I just hope they can get it right!

Well, blu tooth is not a priority right now and I am glad to hear they have the latest software uploaded. The start up time does suck.

I only wanted it for the ipod and navigation. Since you gave it good reviews in these areas, what specific problems are you having with the navigation and ipod, if any?

This would be very helpful to know in my decision to purchase one or not.

Thanks again. :D

I have a regular 80 gig ipod with maybe 10 gigs of music. The only problemn I've had a few times is th eipod will freeze up and I then have to un plug in and plug it back in. As for navi it is working perfect. The only bummer is it doesn't give Phone numbers for business's like the Kenwood. Keep in mind that the Mic is located on the unit. So depending on the moutning location it could be a problem. However I would have to check tomorrow but I think you can buy an external mic for the 500. The only othe rissue I dont like is the response time on the touch screen it is very slow and sometimes it takes a few trys. By the way I'm a 14 years industry vet and I'm very picky! I will say I'm happy with the unit when it comes to nav and ipod.

I finally got my unit hooked up and am able to set routes with the parking brake on. I was able to locate the parking brake wire in the car (which took forever). Also it happened to be the hardest wire to connect because I was so crammed for space.

Anyhow, I noticed that when the parking prake is disengaged the parking "brake" light is dimly illuminated. When I engage the parking brake, "brake" light is fully illuminated. Can anybody tell me why its dimly lit when the parking brake is not engaged? Did I wire it wrong or something. I want the "brake" light to be completely off when the parking brake is disengaged. Thanks.

when i checked$ the wiring ccity made in my f500bt, they hooked up a diode in series with the brake wire because they said the unit is making a return current that makes your brake light warning lit. try connecting at least a 3amp diode just make sure you follow the diode polarity. i think it will not harm your unit since this will only block the current going back to your break light indicator.