AVIC411.com

AVIC-F Installation

I was hoping to get some advice on how easy these units are to install. I plan on buying from a dealer that offers some support like Crutchfield or SonicElectronix. I was thinking of doing it myself so I can bypass the brake.

I am pretty handy, but the last time I was under a car dashboard was to install a 4-track player...yeah, I know...old jokes expected and tolerated! Maybe something between...stop you dope, pay the money and have someone install it and figure out the brake bypass later to go ahead you will have fun!

On a side note, is it inappropriate to ask if anyone on the forum is in the East Phoenix metro area that would be interested in doing the install?

Thanks, Don

I had mine professionally installed, but it looks like a process anyone could do. You basically get a harness from crutchfield, metra, etc., then solder up your connections to the harnesses before you install it in the car. Run your gps antenna, remove your old radio, connect the harnesses together, hook up ancillary equipment (Satellite radio, HD radio, pod cable, rear camera), connect the fm and gps antenna, hook up speed wire and reverse wire (if needed).

Although I had mine done at a stereo shop, I actually provided them with a lot of the install details and bypass wiring that I found on this forum. Mine had the ipod cable, satellite radio and rear camera equipment added during the install.

Call a couple of smaller non-chain shops and get some quotes to help you decide. I told my shop I needed the bypass to use the navigation while driving. The install will run you somewhere in the range of $150-300, depending on what you need done and where you go.

Hah, I'm in the East Valley bud. I don't know if you could pay me enough to install this thing again though. What kind of car and is it double-din opening?

It is a 08 Nissan Altima. Not double din. I don't have a unit yet. I am still thinking about the AVIC F series or a Kenwood DNX5120. I keep hoping for the Pioneer second update to sway me.

Im not sure about the Kenwood unit.

but now, with F90BT (not sure about the other F-series, but it should be around the same thing) is Just NOT WORTH THE PRICE. STAY AWAY !!!

I have high hopes on the next update. but if it fails ... Im going to ditch this shit on ebay for 1/2 price or something.

I got my F90BT from Ikesound.com for less than $900 - great price.

This and probably other units are a bit more complicated than I suspected. I installed new speakers/amp/HD radio/and a rear view camera. Like you it has been a while (cassettes were the latest) since I had worked on installing a system. There are several key connections needed - Speed sensor, reverse gear wire (for automatic switching to rear camera mode), microphone, GPS antenna and the by-pass (if you are so inclined). I had already purchased an OEM service manual for my Honda Ridgeline and without it I would never have been able to pull all the interior panels apart without destroying them. Speaking to just the head unit install:

Speed Sensor (VSS Variable Speed Sensor)- Thank goodness a fellow Ridgeline owner posted photos and wire colors - had to connect a wire to the stability control unit (each wheel has a speed sensor) the info was in the manual - once you know what to look for. Easy for this rig since the unit is on the side of the front passenger wheel well

Reverse indicator - got lucky with the wiring diagram showing the wire color of the lead under the dash for the backup lights and confirmed with a multi-meter.

Microphone - I ran the mic wire up the A-pillar and under the headliner along the wire harness for the lights and use the provided clip to position it on the headliner just above the rear view mirror where it seems to work fine and is not noticeable

GPS Antenna - improvised here after seeing the OE version was mounted under the front dash - a magnetic base is provided and I used some 1/8" flat steel braces from ACE hardware for additional stiffness and basically duct taped it to the UNDER side of the dash - I haven't had any reception problems

Other Notes:

Lots of Zip ties

Remote steering wheel controls - there is only one company that I found that makes a remote converter and I ordered it through Crutchfield - directions are terrible, I spent several hours attempting to program it - took a break for a couple days and was looking at the OEM manual and noticed there is a ground wire on the head unit harness for the steering controls - After connecting it (which was unconnected with the new adapter harness) to the converter ground (any ground may have worked) the programming seem to be accepted - but I'm still working on it.

Antenna Lead - No one makes the necessary splitter - The HD radio takes the antenna lead and provides the signal for both the HD and standard radio, but to use MS Direct service – which is free for 3 months - it needs an antenna lead into the unit. Found a Y splitter on ebay for ~6 bucks w/ shipping and bought a generic 4’ extension cut off the female end and installed a male connector (cable needed to have two male connectors from the Y splitter to the head unit).

Everything on the unit is operating (HD radio, standard radio, MS Direct, backup camera, I-pod, and GPS) but it is still not quite right. Camera does not come on when placed in reverse but does display after starting the car or when selecting it from the screen (I have checked and changed the camera polarity). Down to the final few items – worse case I take it in to a shop to find the problem. All the connections they may need to check are in place and easy to get to, I would expect the cost to be minimal, but I haven’t given up yet! Good Luck

Naw, I don't think you need to have someone else install in your Nissan. If you get the wire harness and adapters, it's not too bad. I did my own install, and have never even tried to do any before. You just need detailed info on what to do. Here are some links to help you:

http://www.nissanclub.com/forums/new-2007-2008-nissan-altima-discussion/235086-diy-07-stereo-removal-xm-install.html

http://www.nissanclub.com/forums/f-q-2007-2008/272419-stereo-installation-how.html

http://www.nissanclub.com/forums/f-q-2007-2008/262504-altima-aftermarket-radio-install-necessities.html

I have installed a D3, Bluetooth and rearview camera on my 07 Altima. The F series uses the same harness as the D3, so it shouldn't be much harder. Just make sure to take your time doing things right.

Naw, I don't think you need to have someone else install in your Nissan. If you get the wire harness and adapters, it's not too bad. I did my own install, and have never even tried to do any before. You just need detailed info on what to do. Here are some links to help you:

http://www.nissanclub.com/forums/new-2007-2008-nissan-altima-discussion/235086-diy-07-stereo-removal-xm-install.html

http://www.nissanclub.com/forums/f-q-2007-2008/272419-stereo-installation-how.html

http://www.nissanclub.com/forums/f-q-2007-2008/262504-altima-aftermarket-radio-install-necessities.html

I have installed a D3, Bluetooth and rearview camera on my 07 Altima. The F series uses the same harness as the D3, so it shouldn't be much harder. Just make sure to take your time doing things right.

Thanks for the links. They will be very helpful if I do end up doing it myself. Appreciate it.

Don

Thanks for the post about the antenna splitter - that's exactly what I was looking for. I hope they sell this at Radio Shack cus I want to get this install finalized tomorrow.

I added the rear cam (tapped into reverse lights), Ipod cable, sirius, bluetooth mic and HD radio. I did the brake bypass and added SWI-PS steering wheel controls.

It took me 3 whole days, which was mostly reading online to locate the correct wires and then some troubleshooting with the awful swi-ps instructions from pac-audio and a multimeter.

Now, I've got a great sense of accomplishment for getting it all working and for perservering the troubleshooting, one issue at time. If I could have found someone to install it for $300, in hindsight, that would have been totally worth it.

BUT, I'm a 37-year-old mom and I work in technology and I'm the talk of the office because I don't think most of the people I work with could have pulled this off. I had a stroke last year and suffered some memory problems, so this was a good exercise for my cognition. Also, Tech Chicks get treated like effin boneheads. So, there's a big bonus for me when I drive my cocky co-workers to lunch and my rear cam comes on when I put my shifter in reverse. Yeah, I did that. So, I dunno. I learned a lot about my car, which is a good thing. But I think I'll pay someone to upgrade the speakers. I had my fill of DIY car stereo stuff for a while. This is quite an undertaking.

• 3 weeks later...