AVIC411.com

Backup Camera - Are They Useful?

I've just finished reading all the posts I could find about the reverse wire & backup camera.. lots of great tips and information about how to hook them up and what options there are.

I couldn't find anything though that really explained, the "why" of it -- is the backup camera better than the rear-view mirror? Or the good old 'shoulder check'?

Those of you that have a backup camera, do you find it is better than the mirrors? Or is it something you use in conjunction with the mirrors, i.e. it doesn't replace the traditional methods, but augments them?

Thanks!

I have this installed. I have an FJ Cruiser which has a very small rear window that is partially blocked by the spare tire. The backup camera gives me a wide field of view (130 degrees) when backing out of my garage. I can actually see the entire 3 car wide driveway as well as the ground directly behind my SUV. Objects in the camera are closer than they seem, but it is a great safety feature if anything ( kids, dogs, toys,etc.) are below or outside your normal rear view mirror field of vision.

It does take about 10-15 seconds after starting the car to boot up, so if you are the type that starts the car and backs out immediately, you might not get as much benefit from it. you can also use it while driving forward if you hook the rca input into your avic.

Yes, using the backup cam gives you a more unobstructed view of what is behind your car. But the downside to it is you don't get the level of "orientation" you do when you're actually turned around and looking at it with your own eyes. I could just never feel confident in what I was doing using it when I had one in my old car.

I can't imagine driving without my Pioneer backup camera. Its image is reversed, so it's just like looking in a large rear-view mirror. I drive a pickup; the camera is absolutely invaluable when parallel parking. (Or just backing out of a regular parking spot, for that matter.) I also use it when parking in the garage - when going forward into the garage and I see that I've just passed the concrete seam marking the transition from driveway to garage, I know I've pulled in just far enough so the garage door will close but I've still got room to walk in front of the truck.

i have a backup camera on my car an di love it. my car isn't large by any means ( i have a 2002 IS300) but i have th ecamera angled down at my bumper (its a tag frame camera) an di can get a centimeter from whats behind me w/o tappin it. which is most useful because i live in downtown baltimore

• 3 weeks later...

I have one installed in by Tacoma pickup and find it invaluable. Not so much to try and drive in reverse looking at it but more because I can see a "ground level" view behind my truck. For example, I have seen my dog laying on the driveway behind my truck before backing up.

If you have a truck, SUV or a large car, it is absolutely worth it!

I have a backup cam on my car and it saved me from running over a baby. No shit, about two weeks ago no doubt. I was even going to post it here but just didn't wont to relive the situation until you inquired about this. I was at a local Starbucks. I got into my car, cranked it up, put it in reverse, and just as I was lifting my foot off the brake I see a baby crawling on the pavement right behind my car. I would have killed this child. I just sat there for what seemed like minutes just thinking to myself, "you've got to be kidding me, what the hell is this baby doing behind my car" Then I see the mother frantically grab the baby from behind my car just as another female was running out of the Starbucks behind me screaming to stop. She had seen what was about to happen from inside. It still took me about ten seconds to gather myself to get out of the car and reflect. This is the most relieved of anything I have ever felt in my life and I have been to war and narrowly escaped death several times myself. I dont know how I could of gone on if I would have run over a baby. That on my continence for the rest of my life would have been unbearable. I could have looked over my shoulder all day and still would have killed a baby. It still breaks my heart to even contemplate the thought to write this about what almost happened. Apparently, the mother got distracted while she was loading the trunk of her car parked next to mine. She had the baby on the right side of her car in a hand carried carrier. While she had her head buried in the trunk the baby got out and crawled right passed her and behind my car. So I say, YES!! They are useful. I wouldn't ever say that they replace the tools you have used your whole life to drive in reverse but they certainly augment your safety. As far as Im concerned now, they should be standard equipment on all cars just as airbags are.