AVIC411.com

Backup Camera - Are They Useful?

I have a camera installed on my pickup and enjoy it for all of the above reasons. But the single reason I installed it was that I do a lot of towing and hooking up to trailers with no spotter. I have a perfect view of my trailer ball and can hook up perfectly with no help and no bumper dings. Would not trade it for anything.

Alex,

The system activates the AV ports within a few seconds so when you put your car in reverse, the system displays the camera (while other functions are still starting up). It removes all the startup messages and works exactly the same as if it were fully booted.

I have this camera and love it. It is a 150 degree wide angle with a great picture. I got it from Amazon.com:

Boyo VTL250 License Plate Camera "Zinc Metal Chrome" with True 150° Wide Angle View

• 2 weeks later...

I have an Avalanche, and with the combo of the short rear window and the tall rear end, it makes it difficult to judge how close you really are to items such as cars, mailboxes, bushes, and people. :roll:

I have a small 2.5" LCD on my dash now, but plan to hook up my backup system thru the AVIC once I get her installed. So, in short, YES, very useful!!

It does take about 10-15 seconds after starting the car to boot up, so if you are the type that starts the car and backs out immediately, you might not get as much benefit from it. you can also use it while driving forward if you hook the rca input into your avic.

Z3 FTW! The backup camera turns on instantly in the Z3 when you turn the ignition on and put it in reverse.

My rearview camera isn't working if it were it would have shown the car directly behind me that I backed into.My truck rearglass is tinted, there was no light, the car was black, it was raining and 11:00 at night. I looked out my rearview mirror and side mirror and I swear I didn't see him.That was my 2nd accident in 3 yrs. so StateFarm upped my premium by 154.00 more per 6 mos. The damage was very minimum to the other car and my rear gate has a minor dent that I will get knocked out.So, "YES" the rearveiw camera can be very useful at times.

I just got the F90BT installed in my FJ Cruiser and the blindspot in the rear is ridiculous enough to warrant me purchasing the ND-BC2 RVC from Pioneer. It even provides decent visibility at night with my reverse lights. The wide angle view really helps me see everything I need to see in order to prevent hitting anything directly behind me. Of course you will still need to look out the sides for oncoming traffic which is just common sense. It is definitely worth the purchase. It is usually ready about 10 seconds after turning on my car which doesn't bother me at all.

Since I just got my car broken into two nights ago, security is now an even bigger issue to me. With that being said, is the camera mounted in a way that would prevent someone from easily stealing it? I have never seen one installed, thus the question. I just don't want anything to attract a$$es to my car, like a camera on the back of my vehicle, that is, if it can be seen easily.

I miss my camera when Im driving a car that doesnt have one

For me its very useful when parking.

As far as the previous post about security...

My camera has bolts that go into slots where you have to remove the nuts from the back (inside the car) to get the cam off (Dont know if they all do)

You'd have to break the camera to get it off