AVIC411.com

Uploading images to the z1

[quote name="silveradojeff"]I have been having trouble uploading images to the z1. I make the disc and load a few hundred megs of data. the z1 sees the cd. But when i try to get a new picture from the disc the import from cd is greyed out..

any ideas???[/quote]

The pictures are in JPG format and labeled as JPG's right?

They reside in a "Pictures" directory right?

When you say the Z1 sees the CD, how do you know it does? Is there anything else on it like MP3's?

Did you finalize it?

You aren't using a CD-RW right, it seems to like CD-R's better.

Make sure you read the manual and the format of CD's, you need to specify the cd format to make sure it's fully juliet or ISO format. Don't use Windows to make the CD.

Just a few things to try.
thats exactly what it was. i was using windows to burn the cd. i tried nero and it worked first time.

as for what i meant by the avic "seeing"the cd
it displayed a message something like
cd rom inserted
but the icon was greyed out. but its working now since i used nero.
by the way
what is the size for the full screen? to make the pic cover edge to edge? does anyone know off the top of their head?

well the avic rocks and im very glad i have it
:D
Also note, I burned about 408 backgrounds to a CD (yes I was bored, yes I'm making them online accessible to all), and only 200 were selectable within the Z1. The first 200 showed up and the rest just didn't display. Perhaps this is the limit for the number on a CD.

Doubt many others will hit that threshold, just thought I'd share.

-Litos
With all those, I think you should unlock the hard drive and load them on to the drive so you wouldn't need the CD. It's not worth it if you have 1, but if you already have 400+, it's probably worth it. :)

I might take a few for myself, that's for all the sharing.

And if you didn't notice with DJ's pics, they seem a little stretched... that's cause the Z1 squishes the pictures slightly when they are on the screen. I'm guessing they look pretty normal when viewed on the Z1.
I tried most of them out on the Z1 and they look phenomenal.

Basically just resized a bunch of pics that I already had. Though that was a chore in and of itself.

I currently have 3 CDs for all of my background images. Going to add a few more sometime soon for Address book photos.

Once we can figure out a way to upload images to the Z1 permanently, instead of using the discs all the time, I'll be all over that.

-Litos
[quote name="DJ Machismo"]
Once we can figure out a way to upload images to the Z1 permanently, instead of using the discs all the time, I'll be all over that.

-Litos[/quote]

We already have that... you need to unlock your hard drive.

[url=http://www.avic411.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=728]http://www.avic411.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=728[/url]

Then you can upload as many as you like to the LDATA drive, there is an image directory there, but they are all BMP files.
[quote name="ducatiboy"] [quote name="DJ Machismo"]

-Litos[/quote]

We already have that... you need to unlock your hard drive.

[url=http://www.avic411.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=728]http://www.avic411.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=728[/url]

Then you can upload as many as you like to the LDATA drive, there is an image directory there, but they are all BMP files.[/quote]

Already knew about that, basically meant I'm waiting for a safer method.

-Litos
[quote name="DJ Machismo"]
Already knew about that, basically meant I'm waiting for a safer method.

-Litos[/quote]

Ok, well don't hold your breath for a different method. There is no method built into the Z1 to do load a picture on to the hard drive and the only way to access the hard drive is to unlock it with that procedure.

I suppose it might be possible to create a "autoload" disk which would use the auto load system in the z1 to "update" it with new pictures, but without knowing how that system works, I don't think that will be something that will be developed.
[quote name="DJ Machismo"]Well perhaps a firmware update to implement this, something to discuss at the Pioneer talk some of you get to go to, if that hasn't happened already.

-Litos[/quote]

It's already done and over with. I don't think the ability to load dozens of images for easy switching was touched on. Just loading MP3's right to the hard drive.
FYI: The image size the AVIC uses for its files is 500 x 240 but the native resolution of the Z1's LCD display is 480 X 234 so I've been making my images that size and now don't have that annoying resizing of my images.

I think this is just another case of bad product development on Pioneer's part. They appear to have done everything in their power to make the Z1 as useless as possible.