AVIC411.com

CD-UB100 with an external hard drive.

Okay, so I have been debating between a few things. Either A getting a 120gb hard drive for my avic and throwing my mp3 collection on it when I do the Z3 upgrade.

Or doing what I have been looking into and that is, buying a CD-UB100 and picking up a USB external hard drive and doing the same. Would that work out or is that unit strictly for flash drives?

Cliffs:

Bigger hard drive in the avic for my mp3 collection

or

External Hard Drive with the CD-UB100

You can't put MP3's on the Z3 hard drive, they won't be recognized. The only thing you can do is burn your MP3s as audio CDs, then individually rip the CDs one by one to the hard drive.

CD-UB100 will work with a hard drive, but it will show up as an external unit which means VERY poor controls and the ONLY display you'll get out of it is what fits into an 8-character display.

Best solution is just to use an iPod and CD-IB100/IB100II. You get all your MP3s, a decent display, and easy-to-use search/browse function. It's not without drawbacks though, browsing is VERY slow on the Z-series.

• 2 weeks later...

Z-series library is weak (imo), as is the slow Ipod interface.

I've found it's a much better experience hooking into the aux composite cables, and using an external mp3 player. Unfortunately there's no real USB interface for the Z-Series, otherwise you could slap a 1TB drive under the seat..