AVIC411.com

Best bluetooth for the Z series?

Maybe I'm asking an impossible question-and it surprises me that the topic has only come up once (or so I have found) on this site-but all I want to know is: is it possible to use ANYTHING other than the Pioneer ND-BT1 accessory for bluetooth with a Z3 system?

The majority of posts here seem to suggest that people are all-around disappointed with the performance of the ND-BT1, but offer no suggestions on how to remedy the problems they encounter; which include echoing, volume problems, incompatibility with phones, etc... Are these problems THAT bad or is it just hype? I ask because I'm starting to doubt whether it's worth it to go that route or just stick with the earpiece.

The only alternative from Pioneer; the CD-BTB200 is said (by Pioneer itself) to only be compatible with two AVIC systems: the N4 and D3. Does this sound ludicrous to anyone else? After all, aren't the Z-series models the "most advanced" in Pioneer's inventory? But I digress...the only other post I've found to date on this subject left this question open-ended. Does the BTB200 work with the Z3? if not directly, then can it be moded to operate?

Just one more question. Is it possible to use third-party hardware to sync one's phone with one's nav system? And if so, who does it? 'Cause it's probably cheaper than going with Pioneer!!

You can go with an aftermarket bluetooth option like the Parrot systems but all bluetooth functions will be controlled from that system. You will not have any control from the touchscreen. It will however mute the audio when you make a call or get an incoming call.

• 1 month later...

This is my concern about the ND-BT1 and CD-BTB200 as it relates to the AVIC-Z3.

[- Bracketing NOTE: All BRACKETS "[ ]" are inserted by the writer for emphasis. -]

Taken from the Z3 accessories page located at:

[ TITLE: Pioneer Electronics - AVIC-Z3 - Powerful HDD Navigation and Advanced Multimedia System ]

[ LINK: http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/PUSA/ ... C-Z3?tab=C ]

[- NOTE: If you simply navigate to the AVIC-Z3 page, select the tab marked ACCESSORIES. -]

FIRST, let's look at the description of the BT-ND1 on the page cited above:

[ ND-BT1 ]

Bluetooth Wireless Adapter[ * ]

For optimal convenience and driving safety, Bluetooth wireless technology and a compatible cellphone allows you can make and take calls, use call waiting, talk, and hang up — all without touching a thing.

[- NOTE: There is a pesky little asterisk after "Bluetooth Wireless Adapter." Why don't we go look at that pesky little footnote? (the emphasis is mine) -]

* Bluetooth functionality requires a Bluetooth-enabled Pioneer navigation system and a compatible Bluetooth-enabled mobile phone.

[ OPTIONAL PIONEER BLUETOOTH ADAPTER (CD-BTB200) IS REQUIRED. ]

Certain Bluetooth features may not be supported by all compatible Bluetooth-enabled devices, and/or the functionality of such features may be limited in certain devices or by certain wireless carriers. Some Bluetooth-enabled mobile phones may not be fully compatible with (and certain features/functionality may be limited with) a Bluetooth-enabled Pioneer navigation system.

[ END OF COPY FROM PIONEER Z3 ACCESSORIES PAGE ]

For you "get the BT-ND1, you don't need the CD-BTB200," where did you get your info? I'm not questioning your veracity, nor claiming a "higher ground," but I've found no "official source" that can confirm the reason for this nasty little footnote in the Pioneer Z3 Accessories webpage..

Any assist from the AVIC GAWDS would be truly appreciated!

I'm at that wide-eyed quandary point in my life, where I've just had the Z3 installed with the ND-BT1, and have a CD-BTB200 sitting here in a box just in case.. I'm a musician that had the AVIC installed in my Tahoe, but just got back in town from a performance in that big ol' equipment van, so I haven't had a chance to do anything with it as of yet!

mm1