AVIC411.com

Help!!! I've got all KINDS of issues...

Hey there folks,

I've got a Z1 in my Mustang and it's doing all kinds of things I can't figure out.

First, I finally got around to hooking up the auto dimmer. When I bought the car (the Z1 was already installed) there was no hookup to the headlights.

As you can imagine, it was really bright at night. (so bright I was simply leaving the unit on "A/V" screen.)

Anyway, I came across a post here yesterday that said hook up the "Illum" wire on the head unit to the tan/white stripe wire behind the headlight switch.

It was an easy hook up, but that's where all the trouble began.

First, when I turn on the head lights, I'm getting a noticable buzzing through the speakers as well as what seems to be a diminished volume level. It only happens when the lights are on, which obviously points to the connection of the "Illum" wire from the head unit.

Additionally, The upper right side of the screen usually says "updating" when looking at the map. While I've never been sure what it meant or why it was even displayed on the screen, it was always there and the unit was generally pretty good about knowing where it is.

Starting yesterday (after the Illum wire hook up. Coincidence?), it changed from "updating" to "antenna." I find the car isn't even close on the map to where it physically is on the road.

I can adjust the location of the car through the settings menu, but it's a pain in the butt, as you can imagine.

I also have a TV tuner in the car. Some genius hooked up what I think is the ground wire to the e-brake handle to a switch. What used to happen was when you flipped the switch, the TV would come on, regardless of the setting of the unit.

Listening to the radio? Now you're listening to the radio with the TV on.

Listening to your iPod? Now you're listening to it with the TV on. (I'm sure you get the picture.)

Well, suddenly, that functionality is gone. When you flip the switch now, the NAV unit loses its mileage calculator and distance to destination.

I'm not sure, but I think the TV tuner is hooked up to the backup camera source.

Anyway, if you guys have any ideas as to how I can straighten out what appears to have been a Best Buy installation, I'd REALLY appreciate it.

I'm afraid I'm going to damage the unit, somehow.

Here's the unit (Sorry, I couldn't resist):

th_d02741ad.jpg

DSC03799.jpg

Thanks in advance guys,

Alan

Can you hook up a test light to the tan-wht wire? If the light dims or brightens in response to the interior light dimmer, then that could be the cause of your problems. That would mean it's a pulse-width modulated dimmer wire. What you need is a wire that's fixed +12V when the lights are on, like the parking lights feed.

You might be able to verify this by seeing if the buzzing changes in frequency or intensity by the position of the interior lights dimmer. See if your problems go away in the max position.

I don't know anything about Mustangs so that's just a guess.