AVIC411.com

Contact Picture Size?

I've searched but can only find information on the resolution for the background pictures.

Does anybody know the correct resolution for the contact pictures? The ones you can add in the Address Book.

I've imported some before, but some of them seem to be resized out of proportion.

Thanks for any help.

You can customize a picture for the phone book record. Some pictures are already stored in the hard disk drive, and you can also import JPEG format pictures, such as a picture from your digital camera, by using a CD-R(-RW). You can use pictures by burning them onto a CD-R (-RW) with your PC and insert that into the navigation system.

Limitations for importing pictures

❒ You cannot use a CD-R (-RW) containing MP3 files or Audio data (CD-DA part) for importing pictures.

❒ When storing pictures on a CD-R (-RW), create a folder named “Pictures†in the CD-R (-RW), and store the picture files in this folder. (Up to 200 picture files can be used in total, including pictures that are already stored in the hard disk drive and pictures in the CD-R (-RW).)

❒ When you burn a CD-R (-RW), limit the number of folder hierarchy levels to eight.

❒ You can only use a CD-R (-RW) finalized with single-session for importing pictures.

❒ You can only use a CD-R (-RW) finalized with “Mode1†for importing pictures.

❒ Only JPEG format (“.jpg†or “.JPGâ€) pictures can be used. Progressive format JPEG pictures cannot be used.

❒ Using only the standard Latin characters (alphabets of both cases: A-Z, a-z) and numbers (0-9) is recommended for the file name. If you want to use letters with diacritical marks (such as ä or è) for file name, finalize the CDR(-RW) with Joliet (Unicode) format.

❒ Pictures up to a maximum of 2592 x 1944 pixels can be used. We cannot guarantee proper operation for a picture bigger than this size.

❒ After changing a set image that was imported from a CD-R (RW), you must use the CD-R (RW) where the image is recorded to restore the previous Splash Screen.

I've read that from the manual.

However, that is the maximum resolution. Regardless of the resolution, the picture will be RESIZED to a specific resolution (a small rectangle at the bottom right of the Z screen).

Some resolutions do not resize correctly and appear distorted (stretched).

If we can find out what the resolution the pics are AFTER the Z resizes them, that would be optimal.

• 10 months later...
Maybe try the 500x240 size....dunno

Just make sure that you enable the option to maintain the aspect ratio....

The stretched pictures look fine on your PC?

Has anyone figured out the optimal resolution for the contact pictures yet? Is it really 500x240?

For phone book contact pictures I used 640x480 (4:3) and it seems to work fine. I don't know if that is the exact resolution used on the display, but it doesn't have the bars on the top or side like 500x240 or other resolutions that I tried. The image still looks like it's being stretch a little vertically, though. I don't mind though since I look slimmer :)

The displaysize is 480 x 234 pixels, so I would think that should be the correct hight x width ratio....

(although the aspect ratio is 16:9 for video, and physical size is 156 x 82 mm, so take your pick :wink: .....)

The displaysize is 480 x 234 pixels, so I would think that should be the correct hight x width ratio....

(although the aspect ratio is 16:9 for video, and physical size is 156 x 82 mm, so take your pick :wink: .....)

The phone book contact picture is a small image displayed on the right side of the AVIC screen when you a receive a call from that contact. It doesn't take up the entire screen and it doesn't correspond to the screen's resolution ratio.

The phone book contact picture is a small image displayed on the right side of the AVIC screen when you a receive a call from that contact. It doesn't take up the entire screen and it doesn't correspond to the screen's resolution ratio.

I know, but you would still expect the aspect ratio to be the same...

I know, but you would still expect the aspect ratio to be the same...

Why would the aspect ratio be the same if it doesn't fill up the whole screen? It's just a little "popup" image.

Why would the aspect ratio be the same if it doesn't fill up the whole screen? It's just a little "popup" image.

Because it's a lot simpeler for Pioneer to program, keeping it distortion free when scaling....

Why make life difficult having all sorts of different aspect ratio's for different pictures..

Compare it to windows, if you want to have a small picture somewhere on f.i. your 640x480 screen, it should still have that aspect ratio...You can make the cutout any size you want, but it should be scaled 640x480 (or more accurately, the width should be 480/640 times hight ) to keep it distortion free...

For the Zx, I would so expect that hight needs to be about 1.9 times the width, in your favourite resolution to keep the picture distortion free.......

But anyway, just give it a try :wink: