AVIC411.com

Guide to Mods

There are a ton of posts about the different mods all in different states of completion. I thought it would be helpful for Avic411 forum noobs or casual Avic411 surfers have 1 easy central thread to find the information about what is out there and where to get that information. I'm ignoring already stickied info

Please help this thread be more useful by replying with additions that I've missed or any corrections. Thanks!

The Basics

testmode.zip to boot into Windows CE

Backing up factory software

General tips

Windows CE emulator to test changes on your comp

Map mods

Different Maps - work in progress

Change compass button to a stop navigate button - Done

HOW TO: Replace Red Arrow With Car Image - done

Branded POI icons - done

Changing route colors - work in progress

HOWTO: add voice guidance mute button

How To: Quick Lauch Buttons and other mods....

Phonebook mods

Edit contacts - Done

Text to Speech mods

Yoda Voice - Done (I think)

Kitt from Nightrider Voice - In progress

Navigation

Software bypass - Done

Removing safety message - work in progress

Voice control - little progress

Audio

Key beep removal - Done

Themes

colors - http://avic411.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=18175

icons - http://avic411.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=122072

VR menu - http://avic411.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=17521

Background images - http://avic411.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=16801

System response time

Boot up

Faster button response - questionable change

Increasing RAM for Program Use in WinCE - Better Response - possible improvement

Development

HOW TO: Variable/Function Reference Library

system.ini from a US system

Guide to .bmp files inside the Flash Disk

Other Applications

AVIC Launcher to run a variety of programs - done (but actively being improved on)

Running TomTom - In progress

Run Igo8 with any maps - Mostly done

Also, IMHO, (because I'm a noob) would it be easier to post individual modded .ini files to insert into the data.zip instead of the entire data file. example:

to do the software bypass the file you would need to copy into is /project_config/pioneer.ini and here is the file (download link)

to remove the blue boxes you would need this file (download link)

etc, etc...

and then have the forum mods remove any cluttered posts to keep it real clean. replies could be posted to individual threads concerning the modded file.

just my 2 cents worth. :?:

Also, you usually don't even need to move the whole DATA.ZIP file.

I'm not sure about the pioneer.ini file (haven't tried that yet), but any hack that deals with ui_pioneer content can be applied by simply creating a ui_pioneer directory in iGO's main folder and copying UI (or BMP or SPR etc.) files in appropriate subfolders there...

Also, IMHO, (because I'm a noob) would it be easier to post individual modded .ini files to insert into the data.zip instead of the entire data file. example:

to do the software bypass the file you would need to copy into is /project_config/pioneer.ini and here is the file (download link)

to remove the blue boxes you would need this file (download link)

etc, etc...

and then have the forum mods remove any cluttered posts to keep it real clean. replies could be posted to individual threads concerning the modded file.

just my 2 cents worth. :?:

I think that would be great... I am no computer programmer but I can hold my own as being a tech geek. However, I can see people bricking their systems... I think we are all prone to that happening if we mess with the wrong files. I am looking forward to getting the data file and poking around to see what I can find.

Also, IMHO, (because I'm a noob) would it be easier to post individual modded .ini files to insert into the data.zip instead of the entire data file...

Unfortunately that won't really work because most of the modifications deal with only a handful of files (almost all of the UI changes on the map screen are done through navigatemap_800_480.ui for example).

That means if you downloaded that file for one mod, it would overwrite the changes made for another mod. The best way to do it is probably to include a DATA.zip that contains ONLY the changes required for the specific mod (for people that want a tested, plug-and-play solution) AND include step-by-step instructions for those that want to apply the mod themselves (similar to what I did here).

• 2 weeks later...