AVIC411.com

Guide to Mods

• 2 weeks later...
  • 10 months later...

I guess I would be considered to be a complete noob here. I just received my AVIC-F500BT, and am very impressed with it. The major thing that I would like to change is the text size in the 3 info boxes. It's a little small for me to read where I have the unit mounted. So I joined this forum after googling forums for this unit. After reading many of the topics and posts here, I am probably more confused about what has to be done to properly install one of these new skins - so far the diMka skin looks to be ideal for my purposes. I have d/l and used the testmode files, and can boot the machine into Windows. I have also made a clean backup copy of My Flash Drive as recommended.

I am not a programmer, and it appears that to install and use any of these mods, you almost have to be. Is there anywhere on this forum that a complete, step-by-step list of instructions on exactly how to alter the Pioneer's Flash Drive files to use any of the modded skins?? I see some files that need to be zipped, and some that shouldn't be . . but which is which, and where do they go?? Obviously I would like to make the improvements to the display to make it easier to use and more informative, but I don't want to risk 'bricking' the machine. Maybe this stuff is just too technical for the casual user and I should just leave well enough alone.

Thanks for any help or recommendations any of you care to make. They will be appreciated!

Jim

• 1 year later...

I guess I would be considered to be a complete noob here. I just received my AVIC-F500BT, and am very impressed with it. The major thing that I would like to change is the text size in the 3 info boxes. It's a little small for me to read where I have the unit mounted. So I joined this forum after googling forums for this unit. After reading many of the topics and posts here, I am probably more confused about what has to be done to properly install one of these new skins - so far the diMka skin looks to be ideal for my purposes. I have d/l and used the testmode files, and can boot the machine into Windows. I have also made a clean backup copy of My Flash Drive as recommended.

I am not a programmer, and it appears that to install and use any of these mods, you almost have to be. Is there anywhere on this forum that a complete, step-by-step list of instructions on exactly how to alter the Pioneer's Flash Drive files to use any of the modded skins?? I see some files that need to be zipped, and some that shouldn't be . . but which is which, and where do they go?? Obviously I would like to make the improvements to the display to make it easier to use and more informative, but I don't want to risk 'bricking' the machine. Maybe this stuff is just too technical for the casual user and I should just leave well enough alone.

Thanks for any help or recommendations any of you care to make. They will be appreciated!

Jim

I agree, you almost have to be a professional programmer to undertake any of these mods with even the slightest chance of success with everything explained in code and techno mumbo jumbo.

There are people here that would like to participate but have a very much reduced level of computer skill.

Not the most helpful of forum I have come across on the Internet that's for sure.

• 2 years later...

There are a ton of posts about the different mods all in different states of completion. I thought it would be helpful for Avic411 forum noobs or casual Avic411 surfers have 1 easy central thread to find the information about what is out there and where to get that information. I'm ignoring already stickied info

Please help this thread be more useful by replying with additions that I've missed or any corrections. Thanks!

The Basics

testmode.zip to boot into Windows CE

Backing up factory software

General tips

Windows CE emulator to test changes on your comp

Map mods

Different Maps - work in progress

Change compass button to a stop navigate button - Done

HOW TO: Replace Red Arrow With Car Image - done

Branded POI icons - done

Changing route colors - work in progress

HOWTO: add voice guidance mute button

How To: Quick Lauch Buttons and other mods....

Phonebook mods

Edit contacts - Done

Text to Speech mods

Yoda Voice - Done (I think)

Kitt from Nightrider Voice - In progress

Navigation

Software bypass - Done

Removing safety message - work in progress

Voice control - little progress

Audio

Key beep removal - Done

Themes

colors - <!-- m -->http://avic411.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=18175<!-- m -->

icons - <!-- m -->http://avic411.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=122072<!-- m -->

VR menu - <!-- m -->http://avic411.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=17521<!-- m -->

Background images - <!-- m -->http://avic411.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=16801<!-- m -->

System response time

Boot up

Faster button response - questionable change

Increasing RAM for Program Use in WinCE - Better Response - possible improvement

Development

HOW TO: Variable/Function Reference Library

system.ini from a US system

Guide to .bmp files inside the Flash Disk

Other Applications

AVIC Launcher to run a variety of programs - done (but actively being improved on)

Running TomTom - In progress

Run Igo8 with any maps - Mostly done

Is all this done with Condi's HACKMODE of does every hack needs its own script?