AVIC411.com

D3 to Z3 upgrade, what went wrong?

So I just upgraded my AVIC-D3 to a much anticipated Z3. So I've got 2 issues.

1. My Rear speakers aren't working

2. My backup camera is only active when my car is in reverse which it was doing with the D3.

I really don't understand why the rear speaks don't work because the wiring is identical(including the bypass) as the D3. The connectors are just slightly different in size. For some reason the deck does not see them and does not give me the option for fade, just balance. Is this a software thing or does something have to be initialized on the deck to make these active?

Thanks!

Billy

Check the wiring as the bypass is differnt for the Z3 (different pin location for the mute wire).

1. Verify the rear speakers are connected to the correct speaker leads on the Z. If your rear speakers are powered by an amp, be sure the amp trigger wire is connected to the BLUE wire and not the Blue/White wire. Do you have an amp for the rear?

2. The camera should only be active when the car is in reverse. Do you mean that if you press AV, then Camera, the screen is black?

Check the wiring as the bypass is differnt for the Z3 (different pin location for the mute wire).

1. Verify the rear speakers are connected to the correct speaker leads on the Z. If your rear speakers are powered by an amp, be sure the amp trigger wire is connected to the BLUE wire and not the Blue/White wire. Do you have an amp for the rear?

2. The camera should only be active when the car is in reverse. Do you mean that if you press AV, then Camera, the screen is black?

Well I called Pioneer tech support and we were able to fix the speaker issue. What happened was that I turned the subs on via the deck and by default that turns off the rear speakers because they're not set to full range, they're set to sub output. So what I had to do is turn off the sub output, turn off the deck, set the rear speakers to full, turn the deck back on and turn the sub output on. This is an option that I don't really see as applicable, I'm not quite sure what purpose it serves. Thanks pioneer!

When the map is active and I change the view to backup camera the screen goes black but when I put the car in reverse it automatically goes on and the camera is active. Tech support said it could be a faulty camera as the camera should always be outputting an image. Does this sound right or does it sound like a wiring issue?

Thanks for the help.

Billy

It sounds like a wiring issue. The camera should have 3 connections:

1. RCA for video (connects to brown RCA on back of Z). This is connected correctly since the camera works in reverse.

2. Ground wire -12v

3. Power wire +12v

Power wire should have a contant 12V and the ground wire should have a constant ground (when the vehicle is turned on).

It appears that either the power or ground wire is connected to the vehicles reverse light wiring. Most likely the power wire is connected to the rear back up light 12v+. This would cause the camera to only have power when the vehicle is in reverse...