AVIC411.com

D3 is working full function with no nav disc WTF???

I noticed today that my D3 in my Lexus is fully functioning in map mode WITHOUT a map disc inserted. I can zoom in, see named streets, everything. Now my Escalade has a D3 as well and when I have no disc in I can only see a overview of the map, and I cannot zoom in and other map stuff. I went to eject the nav disc from the D3 and no disc would eject. I then remembered I had took it out a week ago when I dropped it off to get serviced. I will put a youtube video of this weird operation. Has anyone else seen this before?

Simple. The unit stores the map information at and around your "home" location. There is a setting/function in there that allows you to do this. It will basically save a small portion of the map data around that area into the unit's internal memory so you can still zoom in and out and have map detail there without having the disk in the drive. You just cannot set a route.

Im gonna do some driving tommorrow. I dont think there is a route programmed. I rarely ever use the nav to get me anywhere. I havent driven this car in over 2 months except for taking it up the street to the shop and back home. This is my collector car. Do you guys think there is a learning mode or something to make the system remember the area.

sounds like you may have had a route programmed and then ejected the disc, forcing it into memory nav mode. i bet if you went outside the city it would need the disc again.

Thats exactly what happened. I use to do this all the time with my unit and I posted that this was possible over a year ago. Some people were complaining about having a detailed map while listening to a cd so this was the solution.