AVIC411.com

Hi all...

Here is my sad story. About two months ago I spent the big bucks for the Z2 for my'06 Avalanche with OnStar and Bose adapters and the backup camera.

About two weeks after they installed the unit we were out after dark and I couldn't figure out how to dim the display. I went back to the dealer and the installer informed me that the Z2 will not auto dim, I would need to dim it manually every time. I found a link on the Avalanche Fan Club web site that gave instructions on where and how to wire it. About the same time the unit started freezing during the boot process. After several hours of trying this and that, they installed a new unit and tried the instructions for the auto dim. The installer told me the auto dim didn't work.

The second unit had problems with navigating... it would show me about a mile south of my real location.

A third unit was installed the day before we left on a two week vacation. The installer, at my insistence, tried the auto dim while I watched. It had been working after all, he didn't know how it was supposed to work. He also did the bypass and I get the same error message as above.

We drove 800 miles to the Oregon coast without any voice instructions. I guess the nice lady had nothing to say.

In central Oregon on US 20 the unit indicated I was about a half mile north of the highway for about 100 miles. The installer said I might need to set the unit to LEFT instead of center, so I did. All was fine, but quiet, on the coast.

On the way home we hit a bump in some road construction and suddenly the nice lady started talking. Must be a loose connection. On the same 100 mile stretch of highway I was still about a half mile north of the highway. Only now when we approached an intersection she was giving me directions to get back on the highway.

I noticed when I had set way points the driving time was very long. 5h 39m to go 100 miles.

When we got home I went back to the dealer with the problems we had on the trip. He installed a fourth unit because all the connections were tight. I asked about the driving time errors and he told me they never hook up the speed wire because it might interfere with the cruise control.

Has anyone else had accuracy issues like this?

Or problems with the cruise control?

It seems I have a very expensive boat anchor...

Sorry for the length of this post.