AVIC411.com

Pioneer Avic Z3

• 2 weeks later...

I recently upgraded my Z1 to a Z3 with the HDD update, and I've noticed a big difference in the way the software pronounces words of Spanish origin. Granted, some cities & street names are supposed to be pronounced the Spanish way (La Jolla is pronounced with an H, for example), but some are not:

My Z3 now says:

Los Ang-Hay-Lez instead of Los An-Gel-Ess,

Son-ta Mon-Ee-Ka instead of San-ta Mon-I-Ka,

Son Di-Ay-Go instead of San Di-Ay-Go.

As if that's not bad enough, the voice navigation seems to require Spanish-sounding pronunciations too.

I called Pioneer, and they say that their Z3's pronounce all words in North American English. That is, they were no help. Is anyone else's Z3 going south of the border?

Hello everyone, this is my first post and I wanted to ask a question to the resident experts. I am about to purchase the AVIC Z3. I actually had it narrowed down to that or the JVC KW NX7000. Anyhow, Just a quick question, does the Pioneer show you the points of interest icons like the JVC unit does. i.e the Mcdonalds Arches or the Shell gas station sign. I attached a link that has a picture of what I am talking about. The picture is at the bottom of the page. Well thanks in advance!

http://www.gpsnavreviews.com/search?q=JVC+KW-NX7000+

Hi - I'm also very new to this forum. I was also looking at this JVC NX7000 unit vs the AVIC Z3 - crutchfield reviews were very negative on the AVIC Z3 and F series, so I've been really turned away. So I was thus looking at the JVC unit. It had the features I wanted, full 7" screen, SD card slot, plays all formats and has a key Nav feature I like, it shows lanes and which lane you should be in for an upcoming intersection. Does the Z3 do this as well?? and has Pioneer fixed the Z3 problems, particularily the boot up time? It would really suck to go start my car, and put in reverse to back out of a parking spot and by the time I back out, the unit hasn't booted so I can see my rearview camera!! that seems like a HUGE deal breaker for me...

Thanks all!!!!

Only the F Series has the slow boot times. The Z's backup camera and music start almost immediatly, and the NAV is ready in about 30 seconds.

The Z does also show lane info on highways and interstates. I also shows you the direction and distance for the next 2 turns if they are fairly close to each other.

wow - nice - thanks for the quick response... Are there any known issues with the Z3? How does the bluetooth work and sound? I'm just really trying to justify blowing so much $$$$ on this unit...I'd expect to get something tested and flawless for that kind of price...esp since the JVC unit is like $700-$800 cheaper!!! just makes me nervous.... :?

I am really happy with my Z overall. The BT works well for some and not so well for others. I am one that it does not sound very good. It's good for me, but the person that I am talking to thinks I sound far away. It could also be the placement of my mic.

If you are concerned about the money difference, just pick up a used or refurb Z1 or Z2 and upgrade it to a Z3 for free (files available in the forum) or very cheaply (preconfigured HDD replacement).