AVIC411.com

Using VR with contacts issue (XV6800 Windows Mobile 6.1)

I transferred my contacts over to F90BT without issue. But, I'm unable to use voice command (VR) to call them. I can say dial xxx-xxx-xxxx without issue.

So the problem might be this:

For each contact name in my PDA, (let's say John Doe for example) I have 3 numbers. Work, Home, Cell. When it transferred to the F90BT, it created 3 John Doe contact icons. Each with a different color. (I noticed there is no significance to the color to indicate cell, work, etc.) Also, on the F90BT it sorted the contact names "LAST, FIRST". I've tried using VR saying the last name first and the first name first. No luck.

Could the issue be that it is creating a contact with the same name for each number and is confused? If I remember the videos correctly, the user would say "Call John Doe". Then the F90BT would say "would you like to call him at work, home or cell?".

Thanks for the info. SQLite looks like it might be over my head. Is that something to run from my PDA or from my computer? I've tried to change the numbers to xxxxxxxxxx, but looks like WM6 overrides it with it's own formatting (xxx)xxx-xxxx. I also sync with Outlook 2007 via Active Sync. Do you know if you apply xxxxxxxxxx format into Outlook, that it'll keep the format transferring to the PDA? I'm not at home right now otherwise I'd try it.

Or is SQLite the only answer?

Also, once you fixed everything, did your AVIC make multiple icons/contact for one person?

Sorry, my response earlier was kinda vague. My iPhone also formats the numbers automatically to the (xxx) xxx-xxxx format. You must directly modify the file that the avic created when you synced everything up. You need to boot your avic into WinCE to access that file. You can then copy the avic-created contact list to the memory card, then modify it on your computer using SQLite then copy the modified one back to your Avic. I'm not sure if this sounds too difficult, but it's actually very, very easy.

Here's a thread on how to boot into WinCE

http://www.avic411.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=17542

Once you get into WinCE, here's the thread on modifying your contact list.

http://avic411.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=18248

If you get stuck, just ask, plenty of people here know how to do this and can answer your questions.

No problem. This makes more sense now. Thanks for the links. I'll try this out sometime this week.

But what if I add a new contact after I've modified the F90BT contact file? Will I need to modify the F90BT files, every time I add a new contact?

Kind of strange Pioneer didn't account for this and didn't hard code the formatting of transferred contacts. Especially since this runs off WinCE. I would think the first thing they would test the unit with would be a Windows Mobile phone or an iPhone. lol

And also, to answer your question on how the avic handles multiple numbers for a single contact; when you get your contacts list opened in SQLite, you'll see a field called dwType. The values I have seen here have been integers 0-3. I know 0 is for the general number, 1,2 & 3 are for work, home, and cell. But I'm not sure which is which. I just have them all set to 0 for general. The problem with this system is that if you are dialing by going through your contacts list, the name you see on the screen doesn't say what number you're calling. But if you use VR and say call "Joe general" or call "Joe at home", based on the assigned dwType, it'll call the right number.

No problem. This makes more sense now. Thanks for the links. I'll try this out sometime this week.

But what if I add a new contact after I've modified the F90BT contact file? Will I need to modify the F90BT files, every time I add a new contact?

Kind of strange Pioneer didn't account for this and didn't hard code the formatting of transferred contacts. Especially since this runs off WinCE. I would think the first thing they would test the unit with would be a Windows Mobile phone or an iPhone. lol

I've only had my VR dialing working for like 4 days. But when you add contacts, you won't want to resync to get that contact added or it will just overwrite your modified list. So yeah, you'll have to add those contacts manually.

There are several things I don't understand Pioneer doing with this unit. The possibilites are pretty endless because it does use WinCe, but right now it's a fairly buggy and incomplete product. I think us early adopters are just going to have to be a bit more patient and hope everything gets worked out.

Hey fiction, I just got my f90bt installed and I have an HTC Touch [sprint] running WM6 and when I try to copy contacts over, it says no data or something...but the bluetooth works, calls work, everything else. So I was going to just take the .db file [one from the avic that stores contacts] and use SQLite to edit them, but I have no idea what format they are or anything. Anyway you could possibly copy your .db from your avic, [edit to take your numbers out or whatever you want] and send it to me so I can use that, maybe? Would be awesomely nice of you.

Have you checked to see if the unit at least created an empty .db file? The problem is that these contact files aren't given a generic contacts.db name. When the avic creates the contact list the db file has a name the is specific to that phone (based on who knows what). I'm posting from my phone right now since I'm at work but I'll upload an empty contacts db later. At least thats a start and maybe you can figure something out.

Yeah, my avic will create an empty .db but I have no idea what format I would need to place my contacts in there or how it should look. If I can get someone to upload their .db file, with like 2-4 contacts i can use my empty .db and copy that over, change names/phone type/number and go from there. If you understood what I just said.