AVIC411.com

T.V. Tuner for D3

why not???

There are several digital tuners that are small enough to be installed into a car and that have external power supplies (so they can be used with a cigarette lighter power adapter instead), so from that aspect, the answer to your question is yes, there are. For example, one I might look at would be the DTV Pal from Dish Network [a.k.a. Echostar].

However: attempting to actually USE a digital TV tuner in a car is, frankly, rather pointless. You will only be able to use it while stationary, because the Doppler effect totally destroys a digital signal while moving. And once stationary, you'd likely have to reposition an antenna to get the best signal, which would likely get old, fast.

Also, any digital tuner would not be able to be controlled from the D3... which sucks as well.

Basically, don't waste your money on a TV tuner right now because you would only be able to use it for 3 months, after which it would be a useless brick.

And as far as digital TV tuners, you might have to wait a while, maybe even a year or more, before those start being developed/manufactured for mobile use.

They have a portable one it is slightly larger then a large breifcase and has the tuner and everything built in, including a 17" screen. A buddy of mine has it in his RV and when they go camping. I have only seen it when it was parked in his driveway but it had a clear signal and good picture quality.

http://www.directv.com/DTVAPP/global/co ... navtype=-1

Here's a tiny DTV tuner, for the cost of tax plus 1-cent after gov't coupon.

AccessHD 1080D

It uses an external power supply so it should be easy to set up for mobile use.

It probably won't work while you're driving, but should be fine for watching TV while sitting in a parking lot on your lunch break or if you just dropped the wife off to do Christmas shopping and would rather sit in the car and wait.

• 3 weeks later...

I've just ordered an HTC Touch Pro from Sprint that has video out on it. I have my Slingbox set up so I can watch TV from my phone. Should be able to output from the phone to the D3.

Will see if it works, I know Sprint TV video is blocked from the video output but not sure about Slingbox.

• 2 weeks later...
However: attempting to actually USE a digital TV tuner in a car is, frankly, rather pointless. You will only be able to use it while stationary, because the Doppler effect totally destroys a digital signal while moving. And once stationary, you'd likely have to reposition an antenna to get the best signal, which would likely get old, fast.

How's that? HD Radio is digital and it works while moving. So is XM and Sirius. Mobile phones work.

I think the theory of it would work. The frequency should be high enough that the Doppler effect at such slow driving rates should be insignificant.