AVIC411.com

Internet Access on F900BT

So, I'm relatively new to being an Avic owner, and though I have read all over the forums, I haven't contributed much, so here is my first real attempt at contributing.

So I choose the F900 unit strictly for it's Windows CE engine, I'm a Microsoft Developer and as such I don't see limitations with this device, only possibilities. One of my first challenges that I've given myself is to get Internet access working. This is important to me as I would like to enable a number of internet enabled applications, including e-mail, messaging, but most importantly, realtime tracking.

The only way these units will get proper internet access is through tethering through a cell phone, through bluetooth.

My question to everyone is this, how far has anyone gotten with this?

When going through test mode, I did see that a Bluetooth DUN device exists in Network Connections, this is an important thing to know, as it means bringing Internet access might not be so difficult, but we shall see.

So, has anyone noticed this, and if so has anyone played with it?

I've read that it has been done on IPAQ 3xx series which are very similar (custom shell over CE and iGO) so it should be doable on AVIC as well.

The issue would be making sure that bluetooth stack on the device has corretc profiles (that should be fixable if it does not... it appears tp use some off the shelf bluetooth hardware) and actually activating it from within the shell...

I am currently working on this, but my stupid iphone doesnt have BT DUN. Any number of other WinMO devices have this capability as im sure you are aware. You will need to get a browser to surf the net if that is your willing... I heard there is an opera version that should work ok. Check this guide i found. Should work for you like a charm.

While waiting for the launcher to integrate into the shell from Leetcoder, i have been working on the CE aspect of possible porting RoadRunner or some other frontend to the OS. Sound works fine in CE.

Mio_Internet_Connection_Setup_ENG.doc

I am currently working on this, but my stupid iphone doesnt have BT DUN. Any number of other WinMO devices have this capability as im sure you are aware. You will need to get a browser to surf the net if that is your willing... I heard there is an opera version that should work ok. Check this guide i found. Should work for you like a charm.

Yep, Opera was going to be my test app, if I get that to run then I'll move onto some other apps such as email/messaging apps and then finally some of my own custom applications. My employeer will get a kick if I can get my custom Microsoft CRM client to work on my car, even better if I can integrate it with the phone application. :-)

I believe Opera would work... that is what they use on IPAQ and it runs the same CE core, IMHO.

I wonder if it is possible to use Bluetooth PAN profile instead of dial-up. Won't work for regular phones, but if you have a laptop with 3G or Wi-Fi (or WiMAX...) connection and Bluetooth or a smartphone, it might be a more flexible approach...

I believe Opera would work... that is what they use on IPAQ and it runs the same CE core, IMHO.

I wonder if it is possible to use Bluetooth PAN profile instead of dial-up. Won't work for regular phones, but if you have a laptop with 3G or Wi-Fi (or WiMAX...) connection and Bluetooth or a smartphone, it might be a more flexible approach...

Im not so sure that possibility exists, yet. The only reason DUN is possible is because the BT Modem is listed in the "New Connection" properties under Network Connections in CE. What we we need for that to happen is a widcom application with compatible drivers... or

http://www.ivtcorporation.com/products/wince/index.php

This board has had me reading more than i did in college. Thanks! (not)

I didn't check my network connections before i had added my phone, but I do know that when I boot into testmode, I do see an actual Bluetooth DUN Network Adapter listed in my network connections. The settings appear to be defaulted to ATT though, not my verizon phone. (I use a Windows Mobile Samsung I760 running Windows Mobile 6.1 Pro).

I'm going to switch the settings for the DUN adapter to verizon, add Opera to my SD card as soon as I find a decent copy, then I'll see what happens when I run it.

for what i have seen there are others that are working on getting the wifi part to try to work and like i told them. i have a windows 6.1 on my phone and there is a beta out there call sky fire. this browser work with flash and you can view web pages like the iphone can. not only that but it lets the flash view enbeded video like you tube as well. so this would be cool if you could get the bluetooth dun to work. i would look to the guys at xda developers to see what they could come up with. just if there was a way to get the code for that and rewrite it to work with w ce. that would be great.