AVIC411.com

Issue with AM Radio

I had my AVIC-F700BT installed this weekend by a friend (he's installed these and several others before). Everything works great except my AM radio! I only get one channel that I can barely hear and it happens to be a channel I never listen to. Just wondering if there was a missed step when installing the HU. Going to go check out the store I got it from and see if the one on display can pick up the channels I listen to (790, 980 and 1070 in SoCal).

Anyone have an idea what could be going on?

I'm not sure if Scions have a built-in powered antenna (never heard of it actually), if we do that might be it. However, I do have an aftermarket fin over the base of my antenna (guess this means no built-in antenna?) but it worked fine with my stock HU. Have yet to get over to the store I bought it from to test their AM radio. :?

Did you connect the blue antenna wire on the wire harness to the pioneer blue power antenna wire? I forgot to do that with my Scion and I wasn't able to get AM either but after I connected those wires everything works. But I still feel the stock scion radio gets better reception.

THis sounds like it. Subaru WRX's are the same way, and the 04 STI's that didn't come with a factory stereo also need to have the antenna plugged in from the rear shield to the harness in the trunk.

Ok so the blue power antenna wires WAS the issue. That's really silly to need to put those wires together in order to get a better AM radio reception and possibly FM radio reception. So happy now :)

Thanks for the suggestions about the blue wires guys!