AVIC411.com

QUICK QUESTION - regarding head unit AND HD Radio antenna!

Hey all - I'm hoping someone can quickly answer this question for me. I am installing (as we speak) an F90BT in my '03 Infiniti G35 sedan, along with the Pioneer GEX-P10HD tuner and the Pioneer GEX-P920XM tuner.

While getting them set up in the vehicle, it says in the HD radio tuner's installation instructions to connect BOTH it AND the head unit to the vehicle's antenna. The HD radio tuner had an antenna included that you plug the male end into it and have a female end open.

The Head unit ALSO has a female input to insert the antenna cable. I puerchased the appropriate Nissan antenna splitter, which connects to the car and has one femaland one male cable on it. If I connect the male end into the head unit, it leaves me with just a female cable open and the female end of the HD radio antenna as well.

Do I need to purchase something else to connect these two cables: like a male-male antenna connector, or do I just need one or the other (HD tuner OR head unit( antenna cable connected?

I would REALLY appreciate a quick response if anyone can answer this for me!

For what it's worth, the installation instructions for the F90BT showed only that the HD tuner piggy-backed the XM tuner, not that it needed a separate antenna connection.

Cheers,

Kevin

If you want MSN Direct or standard AM/FM (or preset data), you'll need a "Y" cable.

A couldn't find one anywhere when I had my dash torn apart. Ended up making one. Pioneer should include one with the HD radio module!

Also note the 2.0 update didn't fix the HD radio preset button display. I know it isn't the HD radio module because I had it installed with a FH-P8000BT and it displayed the HD channel info fine.

One can only assume the reason they don't provide a Y adapter is because most don't need FM antenna for the head unit with the HD unit, except for the F series thanks to the MSN direct. But if you have the F series, alot won't opt for the HD tuner, and the HD tuner is for numerous models, not just the f series, so its one of those they just didn't provide it. It would of been great though.

You can get a Y adapter from www.crutchfield.com I think they will charge a lot like 15 bucks. but if you want both gunna have to dish out for it.

I ran into this problem myself, owell what can you do.

Thanks guys - I guess what I'll do is hook up the antenna to the back of the head unit and connect the HD tuner when I can get one (also can't find one right now - of course)

I have tyhe HD tuner sort of buried in the center console, so it'll be easier to get to instead of disassembling the whole center dash again.

Pisses me off that the install instructions for the F90 don't say that you'd need one of these if it connects - they make it look like you just connect the IP-BUS connection and you're good to go!

And you're right mhejl - they should include one!

Cheers,

Kevin