AVIC411.com

Compass Replacement

First layer mean saved directly to the SD card. Not saved into a folder that is already on the SD card.

Please pay more attention. This has nothing to do with SD card directory structure (where it would have absolutely no effect on anything at all).

First layer means that these lines were added to the first element of the navigatemap_800_480.ui file.

(Layers are basic containers of visual elements of iGO)

First layer means that these lines were added to the first element of the navigatemap_800_480.ui file.

(Layers are basic containers of visual elements of iGO)

Ok Boris you got where I was coming from on this. Now I suppose to clarify the question on my part, how do I know what part of this first layer is meant. Or rather more specifically how can I as a person who is not part of the code writing universe determine where to place this in the file?

Order within a layer generally is not important. I would suggest choosing a layer that already contains elements with similar visibility settings (i.e. visible at the same time) to the ones you are adding.

If adding a compass replacement, the layer that contains the existing compass would be a good choice. In the original skin, compass is in ui_NavigateMapButtons layer (which happens to be first in the file), so this would be the logical place.

For non-programmers, you can think of layers as transparencies. They have their own size (if not specified, same as screen), position, and how far to the back or front they are. On the layer, you paint actual buttons, images, text, etc. Then, you can show, hide or move the entire layer at once, and it will apply to everything within the layer...

OK I put it where in the file and it shows very nicely on the screen, I am so proud of myself. Now however I have noticed that it seems to keep reverting back to always saying north. I will turn and it will start to move like it is going to show a different direction but then it will snap back and show north as my heading no matter which direction I am headed. I obviously must have missed a step. Any ideas as to what I may have missed?

OK I put it where in the file and it shows very nicely on the screen, I am so proud of myself. Now however I have noticed that it seems to keep reverting back to always saying north. I will turn and it will start to move like it is going to show a different direction but then it will snap back and show north as my heading no matter which direction I am headed. I obviously must have missed a step. Any ideas as to what I may have missed?

Are you sure you're not switching to 2D mode, which is always North-Up?

nope not switching modes. The linear compass is on the left of the screen just above the route info box that I have not yet removed. The linear compass display changes direction when I turn but after driving for a short distance it will snap back to the N. I thought maybe i missed a step or something and there might be a line that was supposed to be elimated when I add this code. If that was the case it would explain this maybe or atleast I am hoping. THis is what it looks like in the file navigatemap_800_480.ui right now;

;compass    

Was I supposed to do something different?

ok tried your suggestion and now I have a new problem. I believe that the linear compass.bmp that is located in the ui_pioneer/800_400 file is actually backwards. When I am headed north or south it reads correctly but if i am headed east it says west and vice versa. Also when headed North or South the East and West are reversed. So when heading south instead of east being on the left it is on the right. What the heck planet were they on when they were drawing that. I am going to try a new .bmp for the linear compass and see if it corrects the problem.

UPDATE: Ok the Linear compass.bmp that is in the file was the problem. Installed a new .bmp with the N E S W in the correct order and it works perfectly. I also tweaked the size slightly and that helped the .bmp's visiblilty on the screen. You'd think that somoene at Pioneer woulld have caught that the .bmp was screwed up. I mean seriously there is no realistic place in the universe where you can be facing south and have east on your right. Felt like a fool when I realized that .bmp said N W S E man am I glad I got those hooked on phonics tapes afterall.