AVIC411.com

Problem with SWI-PS and MP3 playback

I've got an F90BT that was installed last week. It is running the 2.0 software.

The SWI-PS worked great for the first day. I watched them do the programming and I could see that the red light comes on the SW-PS when a steering wheel button is pressed and the radio would respond. It was all working fine...

The next morning, it didn't work at all. I had the place that installed it take a look and it still appeared to be programmed correctly and the red light on teh SWI-PS was still indicating that it was getting a signal from teh steering wheel control. He switched out the SWI-PS and that one doesn't work either. Is anyone else having any issues with the SWI-PS on 2.0 software? So odd that it would work fine then just stop all together...

Second problem is that I can't seem to get MP3's to play back. I can see the folder structure and browse around to any song I like. It claims to be playing back (I can see the time ticking away on the track) but I get no sound at all.

And before the search nazi's come out in force, I did try the search feature, but wasn't able to find similar symptoms. So either my search skills suck or the problems I'm having aren't all that common.

If I wanted to try and revert to an older version of code, is there a place to download that from (short of calling Pioneer) or am I stuck with 2.0?

I can confirm that the 2.0 software does in-fact work with the SWI-PS as I have one installed in my Altima. What I don't like is that I have to hold the button down for a little over half to three quarters of a second; with the factory HU, it would respond to even the slightest touch.. try holding down the buttons a little longer and see if it responds.

Someone else posted once and said that you _had_ to program the PAC with the car ON instead of ACC because of the inconsistent voltage.. so try reprogramming it for shits and grins.

I'm going to take a shot in the dark on the MP3 playback. I will guess that you have amps in the back of your car and when in AM/FM mode, they work just fine.. but when switching to CD or SD, you get nothing? If this is correct, then go into your settings and change the "Radio Power" or something like that. There are two wires the AVIC has to send a remote +12v.. one is meant for your amps, the other is meant for an FM amplifier.. You may have mistakenly hooked up your amps to the FM amplifier rather than the system remote control. No need to unsolder/resolder, just make the change in the setup.. sorry I can't remember exactly what it is off the top of my head.

Thanks for confirming that the SWI-PS does indeed work with 2.0. I'll try holding down the buttons a little longer. THey were working instantly before but I'll deal with it for now if i just have to hold them down a little longer. Hopefully it's just a software issue that will be resolved down the road.

As for hte MP3 setup and amp situation, I guess I technically do have amps. This is a Hummer with the Bose/Onstar system so they used the GMOS-04 to tie into the factory amps. I guess it's possible that the installer didn't tie in the proper power connectors but I did have a DVD playing in there with sound so it seemd like that would all be considered the same input. I'll have him check that out too though.

Thanks for the advice!

Quick update...

It was indeed the turn on lead like you suggested. I guess in the upgrade to 2.0, it reset those AV settings. I went in and changed the Antenna settings from "Radio" to "Power" (at least I think that's what the menu was labeled) and MP3's now play fine.

I tried a DVD again before I made these changes and sure enough, there was no sound so I knew you were on to something. I'll let my installer know so he doesn't make that error again...

Still no luck with the steering wheel controls though. Holding them down doesn't change anything. My installer has emailed PAC so hopefully they can get it worked out. I'll post back once it gets resolved so there's record of it if anyone else has the same problems.

Well, since I paid for the install, I'm going to file it under "unacceptable" that the Antenna lead is actually powering up the amps. Just out of principal... Had I done it myself, I wouldn't be concerned about it.

It's not the end of the world that I have to alter that setting but I'd rather it be done correctly.

They also hooked up the "bypass" for me as a favor, but it really wasn't bypassing anything until I just did the mod to the ini file so obviously they just grounded the parking brake wire and didn't do the complete harward bypass. That's less of an issue to me though.

Anyhow, thanks for helping me clear that up. I was concerned that the whole unit was defective. Now if I could only get the darn steering wheel controls to work...

As of right now, I think they are going to try swaqpping the whole unit.

so if it was the upgrade that changed your settings on the deck for your amp and stuff how would that be a install issue? It really wouldn't be the installers fault that the setting got changed after a software update.

Because they hooked up the antenna power lead to the amp lead... How is that not an intall issue? If they hoooked up the front and rear speaker backwards wouldn't that be an install issue even though I could just adjust it with the head unit?

Why should you need to alter a setting for your power antenna settings in order to be able to listen to MP3's or have audio on DVD's?

It's no big deal, it just wasn't the right lead that was connected. He's got to go back in there to mess with the SWI-PS so why wouldn't I want him to wire it correctly?

It was indeed the turn on lead like you suggested. I guess in the upgrade to 2.0, it reset those AV settings. I went in and changed the Antenna settings from "Radio" to "Power" (at least I think that's what the menu was labeled) and MP3's now play

thats what you wrote, you did not say they switched the wire till your next post. If they switched a wire that yes it was a install issue. Everyone on this site gets so bent out of shape if any one has a different view other than there's.

It was indeed the turn on lead like you suggested. I guess in the upgrade to 2.0, it reset those AV settings. I went in and changed the Antenna settings from "Radio" to "Power" (at least I think that's what the menu was labeled) and MP3's now play

thats what you wrote, you did not say they switched the wire till your next post. If they switched a wire that yes it was a install issue. Everyone on this site gets so bent out of shape if any one has a different view other than there's.

I don't think you understand what schwartz problem is; there are two +12v outputs on the AVICs and they have very specific purposes. If you didn't know any better, you'd hook both your speaker amps AND your antenna amps to the one designated for just the antenna amp. This will work but it requires a setting change. The right way is that your antenna amp is on the "Antenna Control" output and your amps or any other accessories are on the output marked "System Remote Control" or whatever its labeled. I made this mistake in my origional install as well; I went back and remedied it because it wasn't the good-n-proper way to do things. Plus, why have the AM/FM antenna amp running, taking away from its lifespan if you're not using it.

I'm not bent out of shape. I didn't mention the wire until my second post because I wasn't aware of any such wire that would cause these symptoms.

Terron is the one that pointed out there are 2 wires that can act as turn on leads for the amps. The radio antenna power lead which can be configured to turn on the power antenna only when the AM/FM tuner is in use or to just leave the power antenna up whenever the unit is on. There's a seperate lead for the amplifier power signal that is always on when the unit is on and that is the one that in my opinion (and Pioneers) should be used to turn on the amplifier.

Seems like you are the one that got bent out of shape a little...

The only reason I even botherd to post back to the thread is for future people that may have a similar problem. I searched and didn't see anything similar to my symptoms so hopefuly this helps someone out in the future.

Anyhow, if I could figure out the steering wheel controls without ripping the whole car apart again, I'd be set.