AVIC411.com

Opening / Loading Screen

OK. I've searched a bit but have not been able to find a clear, complete answer. Here's what I am looking for...... if a step by step is out there, please let me know..... I simply could not find it. Plenty on samples, and the JPG backgrounds, but not much on the loading side.

I have a Z1 (updated to a Z3 with a hard drive upgrade) that I would like to change the "Splash" or "Loading" graphics on. I want to get rid of the Pioneer opening screen and change it to something to give me the OEM feel of the unit in the car.

Here is what I have found out so far:

- Pixel Dimensions must be 500x240 for the images.

- The images must be in BMP format.

I am a pro photographer so I can use Photoshop in my sleep and this part is a cake walk.

I know there are two files I need to change.

CPYDEFAULT.BMP which "overlays the default background"

CPYCUSTOM.BMP which "overlays any custom background"

I dont know what that means exactly. On the first file... I thought this was the actual background for the loading....On the second, is it just the copyright and system info on a clear background? I assume that is what it means. ie. one is the background and the second is the overlay of the text.

So....... given that. I have a few more questions.

1. Do I need to change both images?

2. Since the files are BMP files, clear backgrounds are possible. Must I use that for both or the second? ....or is it straight up backgrounds of choice?

2. How do I load these using a CD with the HDD in the Z1/Z3? Can it even be done?

3. If I can transfer with a CD, must I create a specific directory to put the files in? ( I know that I must do this for general backgrounds I can use. )

4. If the only way to transfer is using the HD connected to a PC, what directory must I put the files into?

5. Again, if PC Connected is my only option, must I get the "unlocking S/W" I've read about in order to access the location?

CPYDEFAULT.BMP which "overlays the default background"

This file contains the Pioneer / teleatlas copyright stuff that you see when you boot the Z with the original default Pioneer splash screen.

CPYCUSTOM.BMP which "overlays any custom background"

This file contains the Pioneer / teleatlas copyright stuff (and grey banner) that you see when you boot the Z with any other splash screen background.

I always delete cpycustom.bmp, so that I do not have anything on my splashscreen except the BMP that I have selected. Both can be safely deleted.

IF you copy the images directly to the HDD via PC:

Images must be BMP format 500x240 pixels and 24 bit color. File size should be 351kb.

Images can be saved on the LDATA (map partition):

LDAT\BG\PREINSTALL

By default, there are 15 preinstalled backgrounds. I have tried to put more than 20, but that does not work. If you want to add more than 5 custom backgrounds, then you need to remove some of the stock ones (so there are 20 or less in this directory). I have added a directory called 'stock' and I move the factory images rather than delete them. You can not select any images in the subdirectories, but you can store them for later use.

Thanks for the info..... I was unaware of your work until after I purchased the drive with the upgrade. I got the units (I have two Z1's. One in an Excursion and the second in the Mustang) from a guy on eBay that has sold about 200 drives based on the feedback. Drives are perfect and everything is very well done.

The new drive is already in the Z1..... hence, it is now locked again....... I assume.......

The long and short of it is ...... If I want the splash screen to be clean and 100% my creation....... I have to flip for the unlock, which is basically $40+............right?