AVIC411.com

Quick F500BT question

Hey everybody, I've been reading this site for a few days now and first I'd like to say great info here. Now for the question.

I've been reading this site for a few days and searching here and google and wherever else and I have a few questions.

1:) (most importantly) I have an Iphone running firmware 2.1 and I need to find out about the compatibility of the iphone with the A/V of the device? The Pioneer website states no video playback but I have read from a couple posts/reviews (cant remember which) that they get video playback with an ipod touch which runs the same firmware basically. So straight up is it possible or not? and how can it be acomplished?

2:) The wiring harness is the most confusing thing in the world I have seen to date. So far I've gathered that the cig light plug is needed to power the unit and that the 12v power 22g wire does....?! I guess nobody knows. And if the 12v cig lighter is needed to power the unit do i need to ground the brake wire. if not why's the brake wire there? Maybe a diagram or schematic of the harness would help anybody? I really love this device as it has given me an alternative option to changing my dash which i love the way it is but i think Pioneer has seriously dropped the ball on this harness (INSTALL INSTRUCTIONS PIONEER!?).

3:) And lastly When i bought the unit i plugged the wires in and messed around with it in my truck only to find that the MSN Direct tells me the "Firmware upgrade failed". At this point I would like to ad that I never attempted a firmware update and that when I send a desriptive email to pioneer on friday afternoon about my recent purchase and the error and my firmware (1.0071 i believe) i got an email back only saying "When was the device purchased? -Thanks ****".

I would like to let it be known that I love the device and I'm just trying to make it work for me. I do not mean to sound like I'm complaining and if I've accomplished this in your eyes I'm severely sorry.

If anyone can help with any of these items especially #1, it's greatly appreciated. And lastly Thank you sooooo much in advance.

-Nate

I'll be getting an iphone this week and i'll let you know about the video playback.

I got from a fellow member (blu) that the harness battery wire (yellow) is to be attached to a constant power source so when you turn on the car, the unit comes on automatically while the cigarette adapter powers off your car. I hate the wiring myself. i want to drop kick it and there are too many freaking wires for a portable unit.

3rd, i've never had that problem... maybe there was an incorrect wire installed? i think you have to ground your brake wire from your second question.

my ipod cord should arrive UPS within the next hour or two and I'll try it then, other than that i dont know what im going to do if it doesnt work. i do need to go to a local car audio shop and buy a small line driver like this one

http://www.autotoys.com/x/product.php?productid=1074, hopefully they have it or something like it... the line out on this thing is not that great.

Ok I can answer #2 for ya.

Your unit is powered by the cigarette lighter adapter. (If you are doing a permanent mount you will want this to be on a switched circuit i.e. the ACC Wire going to the radio)

The Yellow wire is a direct to battery wire that helps keep the battery in the unit charged for memory and fast start up.

Using this method your unit should turn on and off when you start up and turn off the car.

If you want to do the bypass hack you will need to ground the parking brake (green) wire.

The reverse wire is only necessary if you are hooking up a backup camera.

I can't answer your ipod q's as I don't run one. This is how my unit is hooked up. You can see a list off working mods in the hack section of the forum. I posted up what I've done with my F500 so far and some tips. Hope that helps.

my ipod cord should arrive UPS within the next hour or two and I'll try it then, other than that i dont know what im going to do if it doesnt work. i do need to go to a local car audio shop and buy a small line driver like this one

http://www.autotoys.com/x/product.php?productid=1074, hopefully they have it or something like it... the line out on this thing is not that great.

Yeah, I have a PAC turbo-1 that helps with the low sound too. It works.

well the cord arrived this afternoon and i mounted the unit using a cell phone mount i bought for 10 bucks and modded to fit on my dash and some industiral molding tape. everything works better than i thought. video works with the iphone and the sound works great, didnt need a line driver after-all. only thing left is to drill a small hole and hide the wires!