AVIC411.com

Connection question about Extension lead wires (Rev. / VSS)

This is in regards to the Vehicle Speed Sensor and Reverse Signal connections. Both the female and male ends of these wires are wrapped with rubber. Anyway, when I slide them into each other, they seem to lock together, but can still be pulled apart when a bit of force.

I'm still a rookie at doing my own installations, but my question is - once the male end is inserted into the female male end, does the connection need to be crimped together? The Pioneer booklet doesn't mention crimping; just has a picture of sliding them together.

Thanks!

No, they do not need to be crimped. You're not going to be hanging the headunit from these connections, so they don't need to stand up under force.

Just make sure you don't apply so much tension when cleaning up wires or finishing the install that you pull the connection loose and you'll be fine.

Is there a safe, guaranteed way to ensure that the connections won't come apart? It seems that if I pull with just the right amount of force (which doesn't seem like a lot), that the connectors will separate.

I just don't want the connections to separate once installed on the car.

Electric tape okay?

if you are not comfortable with soldering you can use crimp ons they are more stable than tape if done right.

I think that is a reply to a question that was not asked. He's not talking about wires twisted together.

As to the question that was asked... Yes, feel free to tape the fast-ons together. Don't crimp them, that would likely make them fail.

Is there a safe, guaranteed way to ensure that the connections won't come apart?

Electric tape okay?

solder them and leave a foot of slack.

electrical tape is never ok if you like sloppy work or you're just an amateur; the best installs will use heatshrink or butt splice crimp connectors