AVIC411.com

Has anyone paired a "new" phone to the unit yet?

I have a Samsung i760 but have a BB Storm on order. I have been reluctant to sync the i760's contacts because I know I am gonna be changing phones in a week or two. Has anyone sync'd a phone and then changed models? Does it cause problems?

I've thought about pairing the i760 because...well...I'm impatient. If I pair the i760 can I then easily remove the contacts when i get my new phone and do it all over again (I don't want doubles of everyone in there!)? KEYWORD: 'easily'.

Thanks....I'm LOVING this thing.

I rotate between a few phones and have them all stored with their phonebooks in there. No issues

OK Camel, thanks for the response, but I will not be rotating phones but simply replacing and I don't want phonebook duplicates that will make it difficult to navigate. If I go ahead (and I REALLY REALLY want to go ahead), and I have a problem is there an easy or reliable way to erase what is already in there before I sync my new one?

Heck, the BB Storm has gotten such mediocre reviews I might even have to reinstall my original phonebook from my i760 - so maybe I will be 'rotating' phones!

Did it. Now how do I get it to understand English?

It understands numbers fine, but if I knew the numbers by heart, I wouldn't bother to put them in the contacts to begin with.

If I try to use a name, For instance, 'Call John Doe Mobile (spoken very clearly and concisely)' I get 904 dialed, next try I get 704. Never once did I get a name - even a mistaken name. Just numbers.

Anyone use this with any success? EVERYTHING elese works great. With or without this I'm very happy. I'd just like to be very happy-er.

The contacts are only available when the phone is connected. So even if you had more than one phone you used with it the only contacts that will show are the one associated with the phone being used at that time. When you get the Storm if it doesnt work either you will have to copy the phonebook from the Avic edit it and the load it back on. There are several posts about this if you search edit the phonebook. I had to do it for my iPhone 3G and it works great now. The easiest way I found to edit the phonebook.db was using my FireFox Browser with the SQLite add on. Just remove any parenthesis and hyphens so the numbers are formatted 2135551212 not (213)555-1212 or 213-555-1212 and remove and special characters in the name like hyphens commas etc. No Mom & Dad make it Mom and Dad. Then reload it and it should work fine. Mine did.

Ya, follow the previous post about removing characters and putting them in ten digit format. Then delete the phone from your deck, re-pair, and resend the phonebook. If that doesn't work, maybe your phone doesn't work with voice dial. You might try a friends too if it doesn't work...most motorola, nokia, and samsungs I have tried work perfectly

• 1 month later...