AVIC411.com

clock issue (F900BT)

Hey all,

I've been having some inconsistency issues with the clock on my unit. When I start up unit, the clock will reset back to 12:00. This is with both Auto Correction on and off. It doesn't happen all the time, so it's very random.

Could it be something with the unit itself? The reason I'm guessing that is because all my other settings never get reset. I'd figure that if power to unit was being cut while the car was off, that all my settings would be reset as well.

Anyone else having this issue?

Well, I'm not sure if this is a bug or not, but I was able to reproduce the issue.

Basically it happens if I set the key to the ACC position, wait about 4-5 seconds (as soon as the "Pioneer" logo shows up), and then start the car, causing the unit to reboot again.

If I just start the car instantly, there's no issue there. Same goes if I leave it in the ACC position, let the system bootup completely, and then start up the car.

Leaving the key in ACC position for 4-5 seconds before I crank it is just a habit I've developed since I started driving, but I guess I can adapt to change :?

Oh well, I just wanted to post this for anyone else that might have this issue.

Well, I'm not sure if this is a bug or not, but I was able to reproduce the issue.

Basically it happens if I set the key to the ACC position, wait about 4-5 seconds (as soon as the "Pioneer" logo shows up), and then start the car, causing the unit to reboot again.

If I just start the car instantly, there's no issue there. Same goes if I leave it in the ACC position, let the system bootup completely, and then start up the car.

Leaving the key in ACC position for 4-5 seconds before I crank it is just a habit I've developed since I started driving, but I guess I can adapt to change :?

Oh well, I just wanted to post this for anyone else that might have this issue.

This isn't an issue for me (clock resetting after ACC for 5 secs)

do you do that because you used to drive a diesel?

haha no.

but anyway, i checked the wire harness again last night. red (crutchfield) to red (pioneer), yellow (crutchfield) to yellow (pioneer). seems right to me, and that's what both the crutchfield diagram and the pioneer booklet matched to.

haha no.

but anyway, i checked the wire harness again last night. red (crutchfield) to red (pioneer), yellow (crutchfield) to yellow (pioneer). seems right to me, and that's what both the crutchfield diagram and the pioneer booklet matched to.

put a voltmeter to the yellow and red with the car turned off and on

Yellow should always show +12v regardless

Red should only show +12v when in the ACC or ON position

Did you say whether or not the clock reset if you just left the car in ON or ACC without trying to start it?

put a voltmeter to the yellow and red with the car turned off and on

Yellow should always show +12v regardless

Red should only show +12v when in the ACC or ON position

Did you say whether or not the clock reset if you just left the car in ON or ACC without trying to start it?

Someone else also suggested to use a voltmeter to test out the voltage. I haven't gotten around to getting one yet, but at first glance, I'd like to assume I'm getting the correct power feeds since my clock retains the time setting if I go from a OFF to ACC, OFF to ON.

I did a bit more investigating last night, and here's what I found:

For starters, my car is a manual transmission, so I need to push on the clutch before starting the car in order to fire it up.

Key positions are:

1.) Off

2.) ACC

3.) On

4.) Crank (which will spring back to On after released)

Basically I was only able to replicate the problem if I put the key in either ACC or On for 4-5 seconds, and crank the motor. The unit will reboot while the engine is cranking and time settings will be lost.

I tried doing the same exact thing without cranking the motor (put the key in crank position without the clutch in), and the unit did NOT lose the time settings.

If I crank the car straight from Off, the unit will only boot once, and the time setting will retain.

So it seems that something in the unit doesn't like it when the unit has to bootup twice in such a short amount of time while the engine is cranking.

But, luckily there's an auto-correction feature on the unit, so if all else fails, I can always fall back on that. 8)

I'm not sure if it matters either, but I performed the software bypass on the unit as well. So my e-brake wire is grounded, and the parking_brake_speed value is set to 128.0. My data.zip file is derived from the 2.0 update folder on the Pioneer site.

And I know I forgot to mention it, but the unit did come with the 2.0 firmware update.

• 6 months later...

I know this is digging up an old thread, but maybe there's some new thinking on it.

I've had my F90BT installed for about 5-6 weeks and had no problems really to speak about--mostly learning how it works and what is and isn't to be expected.

One thing I grew accustomed to is checking the clock when I drive out to work in the morning. Normally by the time I start the truck and leave the driveway the clock is visible and I can see if I'm going to be at work early or I have to hustle. The past 2 days it reads 12:00 for a few seconds, then changes to 3:01 for several seconds, and after all other start up items are complete it changes to the correct time.

And yes, my truck is a diesel. It has been in the back of my mind since I installed it that rebooting in the middle of startup probably isn't healthy, but that's what the wait to start light demands. If the vehicle is warm I ignore the WTS and just crank it over so that I don't reboot, because I noticed pretty quickly that if I reboot after partial startup it goes to the main menu screen, but if it has only the one startup with no inturruption it will return to whatever screen I last left it on.

The clock thing, however, is new. Mornings are always a cold start and I wait for the glow plugs, and until yesterday, the clock always read correctly as soon as it was visible. The only thing I did the previous day, was slide the unit out of the dash to plug in a different mic. It sure is a PITA to do that because the install kit for a Ford is one way--to remove it you have to now take out the whole dash panel, and right after I slid it back in, I had no radio reception. Fortunately, since it's a van, I could slide the doghouse back and reach up and poke the antenna cable that had come out, back in. So my first thought was, did I unplug a harness or a wire? But since all my radio presets are still good I don't think that can be it. If the constant power is removed for even a couple of minutes they're gone.

One possible solution is to change the 12v switched power lead from the truck's acc. circuit to the run circuit that stays hot even during cranking, but then I'd lose the ability to use the radio without starting the vehicle--something I do once in a while. But what concerns me is that now it's doing something I haven't seen before. Is this the start of some kind of meltdown? I hope not. If anyone has similar observations or comments please let me know.