AVIC411.com

F500bt Install

Firstly, i want to thank all who have posted here and allowed me to install this myself with great results.

I installed this unit in a 2005 Honda Odyssey.

The 2 most important tips i've read for this install were the software mod to allow viewing of video on the move and the infamous battery wire.

FYI, to find a live always on battery wire, use the white wire going to the hazard switch. Hazards always have to be working :)

Once this is wired, the advantage is boot up time. There is none. I don't know why everyone is complaining about boot up time, for me the unit shuts downs as soon as i turn off the key and its instantly on when i turn the key on.

I'm working on fabricating a motorized unit that will place the unit inside the compartment it sits in. Currently i've dremeled out the back of the box and it hides in there. I want it to automatically hide itself.

post-25062-12872756383511_thumb.jpg

it still puzzles me why someone would buy the 500bt Question

I can answer that. Here are some of the ones i've heard from friends who have the 500bt.

1) Safety. In some neighborhoods, having a t.v. screen in your dash is like asking crooks to steal your radio. You CAN hide the BT500.

2)Convenience. For those that travel even once monthly, it's nice to be able to take your AVIC on the road with you. It beats the crap out of a TOMTOM. Bluetooth phone + Iphone compatible.

3)(ME) Many folks have great systems already and don't need a full replacement. My odyssey system is great. I have a DVD system with wireless headsets and XM radio. It has AUX jacks to play AV and is is tightly integrated to the stock unit. A perfect interior match with great steering wheel controls. Buying a 700bt would mean gutting my built-in DVD system (which integrates about as great a DVD system there is) or replacing it with an inferior aftermarket one. Not to mention losing the wheel controls. Of course you could replace EVERYTHING and still end up with an inferior DVD entertainment system at a cost of $2500. But why?

I spent the following last week:

F500BT $349 (amazon-Barney's)

Rear camera R2 Pioneer $159 (Amazon - Barney's)

Ipod interface $29 (Amazon - Barney's)

No tax. $10 shipping

$547 total.

So now for just $547 i have a great system with steering wheel controls and rear DVD with XM, Navigation Unit with Phone, Ipod, Rear view camera with AV into main system over AUX AV lines.

And of course when my friends drive somewhere, i can take it with me to their car.

Unless you have a stock crap system, the AVIC F500BT is the obvious choice.

it still puzzles me why someone would buy the 500bt :?:

OEM factory radio installs are becoming so customized, not everyone can cleanly integrate a normal Double-DIN unit where their factory radios are. I would have preferred the F900BT as a complete system overall, but did not want to lose the nice factory look of my dash in my Mazda 3. I've seen people do it, don't get me wrong, I know it's possible, but I do not like the look replacing the factory dash/radio.

Secondly, the F500BT has one advantage none of the other units have. A BATTERY. Near instant start up! Take that F900BT!

You can find my Mazda 3 install pics in this forum. I think it's pretty damn nice. I like my F500BT for the most, but it can be glitchy at times. I will lose all BT connectivity and have to do a unit reset, and the voice activation sometimes will not fire up.

Where is that damn 2.0 firmware update for the F500BT???!?!!?!?!?