AVIC411.com

Digital TV turner (built in with Navi)

I noticed while back when I was reading up on the GT2, the Porsche Navi has a built in TV turner. Going by thier website, it can pick up digital signals. The word (on this site) has been that no one makes digital tv turners yet for cars, but there must be some way.

Follow the link a read the PCM feature. Yes, I know its Porsche and for a 200k car, it better have a tv turner, but I thought it was interesting none the less...

http://www.porsche.com/usa/models/911/9 ... tabindex=6

^ I'm not sure but, that was the Porsche USA site, and even if the signal is different.. its still a Navi system with a digital tv tuner (something most of us on this site want/more info about). Not sure who makes the Porsche Navi systems or if that tuner feature is only available in Europe. Maybe someone with more insight will chime in.

If thats the case, I agree. Still tho, different signal or not, the technology is available to have that feature here. Europe/Japan, always ahead of us. The market is an entire different ballgame all together. Here its: poduce the most inexpensive product for as long as you can. Over there its: produce the best product you can to compete with everyone else's product, or get your head taken off (slag for, you will lose out!).

Oh well!

USA uses ATSC. Europe uses DVB-T. I don't know which is better, but we always have to be the oddball with our "standards".

Pioneer has had a DVB-T IP-Bus controlled TV tuner out for some time now, the GEX-500DVB.

http://www.pioneer.co.uk/uk/products/archive/GEX-500DVB/index.html

Pioneer navi HU's in Japan also usually have a built-in TV tuner. They like to keep the good stuff close to home. They've got some navi HU's that make their USA offerings look downright primitive in comparison.

• 1 month later...
there are digital tuners out now. still seems pointless to me but they are there for the buying.
why do they seem pointless to you?

GnatGoSplat: thanks for the info. Yup, I was stationed in Japan from '02-'04 and the cell phones that are comming out now in the USA are just begining to compare with the ones that were out over in Japan back then... its crazy. Most new cars over there have navi/tv standard anyway.. its a much different market.