AVIC411.com

CD vs MP3 quality and volume

I have noticed a large quality difference from a cd to a MP3 file. I ripped a song at the highest quality (320 kbps) and when played back to back on the computer (with quality speakers) the difference is negligible. However when played back to back on the Avic 700 with the same EQ setting there is a large quality and volume difference. I have to have the SLA set to +3 on the MP3 to come close to the same volume but there is no fix for the quality. I have owned other MP3/CD decks that don’t seem to have as large of a change. Have others experienced a similar quality difference?

While I haven't directly experienced it on the AVIC units since I'm a low quality listener with lots of road noise and not overly high standards ;-) it woulnd't surprise me. A huge portion of what you're hearing when you listen to MP3s is the quality not only of the amplifiers in your player, but the quality of the DA converters, and the processing chip (most units do it in hardware, not software)

It's actually a common complaint that with all these mediocre quality MP3s and MP3 players and ear buds, that we're raising a new generation of listeners that are more about convenience then about quality, I have to say I sort of agree with them.

Diane

While I haven't directly experienced it on the AVIC units since I'm a low quality listener with lots of road noise and not overly high standards ;-) it woulnd't surprise me. A huge portion of what you're hearing when you listen to MP3s is the quality not only of the amplifiers in your player, but the quality of the DA converters, and the processing chip (most units do it in hardware, not software)

It's actually a common complaint that with all these mediocre quality MP3s and MP3 players and ear buds, that we're raising a new generation of listeners that are more about convenience then about quality, I have to say I sort of agree with them.

Diane

Diane I could kiss you for your intellectual reply ! I couldn't have worded it better!! I'm old school,I still carry Cd's.When I want absolute quality I play CD's,when I want quantity I bring my Creative Zen

W 30 gig player. I have an Eclipse AVN5435 Nav unit in my truck and I love it but at times I can hear a minimal bit of,what I call,electrical gabage when I play MP3's(only 320 bit).When I play Cd's the sound is flawless.I'm up in age, so maybe I'm out of touch with the logic of the young men & women but why do you put thousands of dollars of stereo equipment in your vehicles and only play Mp3's.You are missing quality of music that was recorded,you're cheating yourself.I'm a Jazz man so I want all the bells and whistles my system can reproduce.

A lot of younger folks these days grew up listening to nothing but MP3's and have no idea what quality sound is. I feel sorry for them :( Heck, I still think well maintained LP's sound better than CD's as far as richness of sound (shows you how old I am). I myself was really disappointed with Pioneer when they no longer allowed the option of connecting a CD changer to the F series, because I like you perfer CD's over MP3's.

A lot of younger folks these days grew up listening to nothing but MP3's and have no idea what quality sound is. I feel sorry for them :( Heck, I still think well maintained LP's sound better than CD's as far as richness of sound (shows you how old I am). I myself was really disappointed with Pioneer when they no longer allowed the option of connecting a CD changer to the F series, because I like you perfer CD's over MP3's.

I have about 200 albums from the 70s-80s.So you have nothing on me when it comes to age. :) I Remember quad sound in the 70s.

Were you playing back from the CD or directly from your computer?

I played the original cd and mp3 off the computer. I’m a tech guy; and I love mp3s. I have played mp3s on countless systems home and auto for years. The Avic to me has the largest difference in sound that I have ever heard. However I love the unit and it is staying in the car for all the features it provides.

I seeing if I can get a hack in to get my F90BT to play Flac files. I'm now just reading up on how to get into the Windows CE portion.

Hoping to replace the crappy Microsoft codec with the one from lame.

Question?

What are you using to rip your CD's with or are you just buying your MP3's online?

I'm using EAC with LAME -V0 (VRB ~230bps)

Almost no one is able to tell the difference between a 320kbs mp3 and a CD. Even I've been ablet to do this only twice and it was in a studio and I was looking for a specific artifact. You shouldn't be able to tell in a car. (This could be if the AVIC is using a different DAC for the CD as for the rest of the system.)

I have about 200 albums from the 70s-80s.So you have nothing on me when it comes to age. :) I Remember quad sound in the 70s.

Yes I remember the quad systems, I still can't believe that didn't take off. I also have 300+ albums from the 70's - 80's and up till quite a few years ago a sizeable collection of 8 track tapes from the late 60's and early 70's. Now who's older?

I give up!! I know when I'm beat. :lol: I was around in the 60's but some unknown friends decided to TAKE all of my 45's,78's, 33 and a third's and some some 8 tracks.Do you still have a 8 track player?

Yes, I know I still have one buried in a deep, dark, spider infested region of my basement that hasn't seen the light of day for a few decades. I'm sure there's a few archeologist that would love to go through some of my stuff for the artifacts that could be found.