AVIC411.com

Importance of Speed Sensor and RSX Installation Question

I'm currently considering buying the 700 or 900 and leaning towards the 900 because I'm worried about the 700 being less accurate since it doesn't have the VSS/G force sensors. I've heard about the 700 telling you you're at your destination when you're still a block away. My first question is this: Is the 900's speed sensor worth spending the extra money on?

My second question regards installing the AVIC into an Acura RSX-S with the Bose system. Looking at the 700/900 installation manual, there appears to be two methods of hooking the HU to the speakers -- either through wires or RCA cables. Metra makes two different harnesses, one for a wired installation and the other with RCA cables. Looking at the service manual, I don't see why one would be more correct than the other. RCA or wires? Why?

Finally, the OEM wiring has an input to the car's security system, but the AVIC manual doesn't show a connection to the input wire. Will not connecting the security system wire to anything cause problems? If so, what can be done to correct it?

Thanks for whatever help you guys can give me. This site has been terrific already!

I'm currently considering buying the 700 or 900 and leaning towards the 900 because I'm worried about the 700 being less accurate since it doesn't have the VSS/G force sensors. I've heard about the 700 telling you you're at your destination when you're still a block away. My first question is this: Is the 900's speed sensor worth spending the extra money on?

My second question regards installing the AVIC into an Acura RSX-S with the Bose system. Looking at the 700/900 installation manual, there appears to be two methods of hooking the HU to the speakers -- either through wires or RCA cables. Metra makes two different harnesses, one for a wired installation and the other with RCA cables. Looking at the service manual, I don't see why one would be more correct than the other. RCA or wires? Why?

Finally, the OEM wiring has an input to the car's security system, but the AVIC manual doesn't show a connection to the input wire. Will not connecting the security system wire to anything cause problems? If so, what can be done to correct it?

Thanks for whatever help you guys can give me. This site has been terrific already!

I'd say it's worth the money, in my opinion it makes the unit more accurate. The RCA cables are used if you have an external amp external to the unit to power the speakers. The wires are if you use the internal amp of the head unit to power the speakers. I don't know if the Bose system uses an internal or external amp. I don't think not connecting the security system wire would cause any problems however you may want to look into this further. What year is your car? I can probably find out more for you if I knew the year. :?:

Thanks for the speedy reply!

The Bose system has an amp for the main speakers which relays to a second amp for a woofer. According to the service manual, (I've never removed the OEM HU to see for myself) it is hooked to the OEM HU via wires through a traditional harness.

My car is an '02 Acura RSX-S. I don't know if this is helpful or not, but the service manual's description of the security system says that the system is armed when the doors are locked, the key is out, and the hood is closed. At that point, the HU is monitored via the security wire. In the security troubleshooting section, it talks about checking for continuity to ground in the wire to indicate a properly functioning system. Other than that, there isn't any mention of a voltage the HU should supply or what happens if the system arms without a signal from the HU.

Here's a link to the service manual. I'm inexperienced with this stuff, so perhaps you can find something I missed. The Audio section starts at 22-107 and the security system is shortly after that.

http://powweb.hondahookup.com/manuals1/Service%20Manual%2002-03_rsx.pdf

Thanks for the help!

The harness with the RCA connectors is p/n 1725, and is linked below:

http://retailer.installationexcellence.com/productfeatures.aspx?retailerid=1944&productid=2253&sid=B00763D0-CA02-4DA1-9D1D-68649AEE9507

The harness without the RCA connectors is p/n 1721 and is linked here:

http://retailer.installationexcellence.com/productfeatures.aspx?retailerid=1944&productid=1126&sid=B00763D0-CA02-4DA1-9D1D-68649AEE9507

The common advice of this site and elsewhere is to always use RCA's when connecting aftermarket HU's and factory amps. That seems to agree with what you're telling me. Having said that, the service manual doesn't show RCA's being used in the OE setup.

I guess I'm just trying to figure out why one way is better than the other so I can be sure I'm not going to turn an upgrade into an expensive repair job.

Thanks again.

I've got a 700bt in an 03 RSX-S. I have separate amplifiers so I don't have a definitive answer regarding which harness you should use. I believe there are two schools of thought on this...

Using the 1725 is the fastest and easiest way to install the radio, but may not necessarily give you the best sound as you are still using the OEM amplifier.

Using the 1721 would involve more work as you would have to bypass the OEM amp (under passenger seat) with some wiring, but at least you should get a better sound by using the amp on the pioneer unit.

Either way, don't worry about the alarm part. I've had at least 10 radio's in my car and never even thought about it.

I haven't found any accuracy issues without the VSS hookup. Of course it would be better to get as accurate as possible, but so far, it's been close enough for me.

Please see this thread on the RSX forum regarding the OEM amp bypass.

http://forums.clubrsx.com/showthread.ph ... ght=bypass

Thanks for the great info!

I think I'd prefer to use the 1725 and keep the installation a little more simple. My guess is that the sound quality will be good enough for me and my typical non-audiophile listening habits.

Would you guys suggest going with the 90BT's 4V preouts? Would the extra voltage cut-out the potential noise better?

Thanks for the great info!

I think I'd prefer to use the 1725 and keep the installation a little more simple. My guess is that the sound quality will be good enough for me and my typical non-audiophile listening habits.

Would you guys suggest going with the 90BT's 4V preouts? Would the extra voltage cut-out the potential noise better?

starting with a hotter (higher voltage) signal generally leads to less degredation and less ability to accept interference

Be careful with Bose. Most bose systems in newer cars are 2 ohm speakers and most pioneer units are 4 ohms. I would go for the simple install and just use existing amp through a wire harness that matches your car to an after market unit. If you bypass the factory amp you may want to change your speakers as well to something other than Bose.

Please forgive my ignorance, but I have a 03 Mercedes with a Bose fiber optic system.

I bought the F900BT and understand that I CAN NOT use the MB Bose amp.

I have been told that I CAN wire the HU directly to the Bose speakers.

There are 4 front speakers, door and tweeter, and 4 rear, door and tweeter and 1 sub.

I think I have read that the Bose speakers are 2 Ohm each, so my question is can I wire the door and tweeter in series and make that "Set" of speakers 4 ohms and then it would be safe to wire them directly to the HU and not require an amp?

Thanks

Will

Dallas Tx

j3cubcapt,

I also have a 2003 Mercedes with a Bose system. I am happily running the F90BT without having to change out the Bose amp nor the speakers. Although the Bose system is fiber optic, this is only for the exchanging of data. The Bose amp has preamp inputs that can be wired directly to the F90BT preamp outputs. Additionally, both these preamp electrical signal levels operate at 4V.

I hope this helps.

The wiring will be located at the console where your old head unit was. My head unit was a Command 2.0. The pin outs for the connector can be found on the following attachments. I hope this helps. Reply if you need the part number for the wiring harness you'll need in order to preserve your original connector. I ordered mine off amazon.com. Also you'll need an antenna adapter and possible an antenna splitter, if you intend to utilize MSNDirect and HD Radio.

post-19216-12872756709134_thumb.jpg