AVIC411.com

Leaving the F900BT powered up??

I currently have a D3 in my Sierra Denali and want to install the F90BT in my Benz.

I have been on the fence about it due to the boot up speed and responsiveness of the touch screen.

Has anyone ever experimented with leaving the unit powered up to avoid reboot? I would do something different to switch on the amps (comparator or something)

I know the D3 has some screens that dont display much graphics such as auxillary input screens mostly black. Assuming the F90 may have something similar. too bad tehre is not a sleep or hibernate mode.

Would there be too much battery drain? if the car was driven regulary.

although thought one could disguise a solar trickle charger in an inconspicous spot on the rear deck to keep the charging up?

just a thought. appears this is another great device but lacks the responsivenes of windows.

this idea doesn't work for two reasons

1) boot time is 8 secs to music, 45 to fully booted. why bother adding extra wear and tear on the unit by leaving it on.

2) all but just a handful of vehicles will lack the electrical strength to handle cranking the car and leaving the unit powered; a few diesels don't have this issue and some cars with second batteries and wired diode circuits can avoid this

not to change the subject but... if you wire the constant power wire straight to the battery does it keep the unit from rebooting when you go from accessory to starting the car. This is a small annoyance but if it can be avoided...

eg. watching a movie while waiting for someone, they come out start the truck and the system reboots because of the amp draw.

not to change the subject but... if you wire the constant power wire straight to the battery does it keep the unit from rebooting when you go from accessory to starting the car. This is a small annoyance but if it can be avoided...

eg. watching a movie while waiting for someone, they come out start the truck and the system reboots because of the amp draw.

your plan will most likely not effect the current outcome of starting the car.. if the current draw from the starter is too high as it is, it will still be too high to keep the unit from rebooting if you run a direct path from the battery.

If you can't deal with a less then 45 second bootup.. I get fm radio in 8 seconds.. then don't buy the unit... I mean seriously.....

Read my post...

If I'm in the middle of a movie and I restart the car the movie continues on while it's rebooting and I lose 'some' time on it. In other words there is audio to the movie but no picture until you click 'okay' which you can't until the unit has finished booting. I can live with it because I'm going to have to. I would just like to know if anyone has tried to circumvent this 'annoyance' .

This is the hack section isn't it?!? I mean seriously.....

Leaving the unit running 24/7 would be a huge strain on the hardware. I would suspect that the first thing to fail would be the fan, spinning all day long. Then after the fan goes and you don't notice it, your unit will overheat and can cause major damage. Even if you were to get past the rebooting problem when starting, who knows how good windows CE will actually be when left on for a long period of time. A very small memory leak could be exponentiated; and we all know that Microsoft doesn't always produce the best software.

To answer your question about the screen, somewhere in the settings there is an option that lets you turn the screen off until you touch it again.