AVIC411.com

should i get the AVIC-F900BT?

Whats MOD? lol I'm not too familiar with all the lingo so bear with me. I've read numerous reveiws and they seem to be 50/50. Some say that Nav isnt too great and some say that it takes too long to load up. Especially concerning to me is that I read it takes up to 2 minutes to get the back-up camera going after you put it in reverse. These are all things that make a $1000 radio very undesireable. Is there new "firmware" etc to correct these problems?

Thanks

MOD is modifications. We modify the units to be more user friendly and add things that should have come with this unit stock. After doing some mods these units definately get my approval and i am very happy with my F900 now. There was a 2.0 firmware update realeased and the boot up times were improved. Buy the unit!

And it's not necessarily a $1000 radio. Picked up mine from ebay from a reputable seller that has sold to a LOT of forum members here. It was a factory pioneer refurb with brand new wiring harnesses, manuals, and basically..brand new..with warranty. Paid $570 including shipping. And that was before the microsoft live rebate. If you prefer new, www.crutchfield.com always has great service, includes all instructions and includes the free wiring harness that makes it basically plug and play for the install. So yes, definitely worth it over stock. No question. AndFYI..you dont HAVE to mod if you dont want to..but its nice to have, and nice to be able to fully access the Microsoft Windows software that runs the F series

I Think as you can tell this radio gets a good reputation here and a lot of people tend to like it a lot, in my point of view out of all...... the things this radio does "GPS, iPod, DVD, MSN Direct, ect" and preforms to me strongly over ways the one fall back "the start up time is a bit long 20ish seconds" is a bit long but even then that's not to bad. just get in the car sit down turn key forwarded, and by the time you turn around the get your seat belt and click it on and you have your self set, the radio is pretty much started up.

As for Mod's truly if you did not know about Avic411.com and you had the radio you would still love it with nothing done to it, the interface "way you navigate the menu' I feel is great and simple, the main menu makes having a touch screen in you car a lot eraser to us as you drive, The bluetooth works great and unlike alot of other radios I have had myself " I like the fact that once you are on the bluetooth headset the radio does not block out the GPS screen.

On the other hand If your like me and the tons of other people on here, The fact the YOU CAN MOD your radio is great, you dont have to but you could if you wanted.

Well hope this kinda helps Sum it up a bit for you...

The term MOD refers mostly to changing the visual aspects of the unit...

Such as changing the theme by using custom icons, print fonts, etc.

It is also possible to change the functionality of the unit by adding custom things like warnings for Photo Enforcement at intersections while navigating, the addition of non standard buttons on the navigation screen, etc.

Basically MODS are those things that although Pioneer built in to the unit, they did not "turn them on" or make them readily available through the GUI.

Cheers,

T

One more thing....Does this unit come with the bluetooth or is it an add-on likethe ipod and back-up camera and sirius? Thanks

BT is built in, no additional items are needed.

What about the microphone? Is an external mic provided? Where is it typically mounted? Or is there one built in?

Sorry, like the owner of the original post, I am just now thinking of getting this HU and have a lot of questions.

Thanks!