AVIC411.com

Just updated to z3 software or did i?

Hi i just installed a new toshiba harddrive that was purchased off of ebay with the new z3 software already on it..

its says 2008 version when starting up, and i got these number from the options menu.

CDDB version: 07-01-0030

Version: 03.0000

Device number: 0C9AD4BD30BC287B

Just wondering if i actually have the new software or if i got scammed?

I was hoping to see some cool 3d stuff lol

Your system is running the Z3 software. The version 3.0000 indicates that.

You are not running the latest Gracenotes database though. There is newer one. I beleive its version 08-01-0030.

Mine is running the same after a self-upgrade of my Z1 to Z3. I think Pioneer has the update that is downloadable on their website. You burn it to a CD and put it in and it will update for you. I have not tried it yet, but I think thats the deal.

The biggest gain I saw from the Z1 to Z3 was the newer, more accurate maps in my area. Also appears to have more/accurate POIs. Other than that, the interface appears to be the same.

Hope this helps..

Greg

Just saw this on the Pioneer website - what the heck does it mean not compatible???

>>From pioneer

Store Songs Internally. Command Playback Vocally.

Want quick access to tons of songs? The AVIC-Z3 allows use of up to 10 gigabytes of its HDD space for a music library. You can listen to music while at the ripping and storing tracks at 4 times the playing speed. The system also includes the Gracenote CDDBâ„¢ Music Recognition Service, which automatically "tags" the music you record with the artist name, song title, genre, and album title. This allows you to conveniently access songs by simply saying the artist name, song title, genre, or album title.

The Gracenote CDDB database update is currently not compatible for the AVIC-Z3.

• 4 months later...
It is compatible if your drive is unlocked and you copy it directly to the hdd.

garret I know your familiar with the z1/z2 --> z3 upgrades..

I successfully upgraded my Z1 -> Z3 back in April. again, thnx for your support!! :D

I see the latest Gracenotes Release (09-01-0010) is limited to Z1/Z2 according to pioneers site

http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/PUSA/Products/Navigation/AVIC-Z1+AVIC-Z2+Gracenote+CDDB+Database+Update

Would this work considering I sort of have a Z1? Or does my new Z3 software mean the only resemblance to my original Z1 is that of the stamp on the faceplate. If a Gracenotes update is at all plausible via CD, do I risk "locking" my drive again (assuming it works on upgraded HDDs)?

Only reason I ask is that the XP machine I threw together for this Z1-Z3 upgrade is no longer available.. its been gutted.. While I still have the appropriate ATA cable to attach my Z3 drive to my pc.. I havent tested it on my Vista machine yet.. I assume it will work as my motherboard has an ata interface.. and with the drive already being unlocked it should read just the same as any other drive in the build..

..just looking for some advice before I break something that's not broken :oops:

It is compatible if your drive is unlocked and you copy it directly to the hdd.

I thought it was compatible with upgraded Z1 and Z2s to Z3, just not native Z3s, however, I'm not sure. I guess you could just try, it will either accept it or not... :wink:

In europe they brought out a patch for the Euopean equivalent of the Z3, the HD3BT-II.

Don't know if it's compatible with the Z3, but earlier patches for the Z3 (temperature fix) did work on the HD1 / HD3, so who knows....

See:

http://www.pioneer.eu/eur/content/support/support/upgrade/AVICHD3II.html

The Z3 firmware (whether original Z3 or upgraded to a Z3) will not read the Gracenotes update disc to do the upgrade. You can copy the files directly to the hard drive in the approriate directory. Just make a backup of any files you overwrite (just in case).

Guess that's different with the european versions then :)

I have a HD1BT, which I upgraded to HD3-II level (comparable to upgrading a Z1 to Z3), and it updates the Gracenote database from CD without any problems...(did it just now :wink: ).

Rubbish.. damn Commie bastards!! :lol: thats not fair.. I gotta rip out my hard drive, boot down my machine, attach a rediculous cable in a hard to reach spot in my tower.. attach my drive.. boot.. back up.. replace my files.. shutdown.. put my HDD back in my car.. and see if it worked.. which i assume will take no more then the 20 minutes that the CD update claims to take according to Pioneers site

Please note that the update may take up to 25 minutes to complete.
.. I'll just chalk it up to some busy work instead of waiting im my car for 20 dull minutes :roll:

Or you could of course just burn a gracenote update CD and see if it works...

If not, you can always have fun pulling your harddrive, and you've only wasted a CD....

If it does work, you've saved yourself some work... :mrgreen:

I suppose I can give it a shot.. my only concern with that was that i have an unlocked HDD.. If I tried to install the CD would this somehow lock my drive again..

I think I might just take the "scenic route" and pull the drive..

I wouldnt want to risk any future map update's for a new CDDB.db

speaking of map updates.. has there been any word of a release date for the new map pack?

The update CD can not lock your hard drive if security has been disabled.

Thanks again Garrett.. That is the reassurance I needed.. I went ahead with the CD upgrade with the confidence that it wouldn't lock my drive somehow..

I burned a CD via Nero9's Data Burner (right within Start Smart)

Pioneer's instructions state:

"Please note that the CD you record must be in one of the following formats using Mode 1: ISO9660 level1/level2, Joliet, or Romeo."

While I didnt see any options to set a specific format using the app within Start Smart..

I went ahead and added the 6 files provided in the 09-01-0100.zip folder.. hit burn

Took the upgrade CD out to my AVIC Z3 and waited for the CD to fail :lol:

After a few minutes of the AVIC trying to read the CD, I started to dig my torx8 out of the glove box, when to my surprise the upgrade started with no issues at all :D 20 minutes later I went out to check up on it the process.. the upgrade went through with no problems.. checked my system status and saw the 09-01-0100 db in place.. gooood stuff.. I was definitely pleased with the ease of the upgrade..

big thnx goes out to jwq for saving me some unnecessary hassle

Took the upgrade CD out to my AVIC Z3 and waited for the CD to fail :lol:

After a few minutes of the AVIC trying to read the CD, I started to dig my torx8 out of the glove box, when to my surprise the upgrade started with no issues at all :D 20 minutes later I went out to check up on it the process.. the upgrade went through with no problems.. checked my system status and saw the 09-01-0100 db in place.. gooood stuff.. I was definitely pleased with the ease of the upgrade..

big thnx goes out to jwq for saving me some unnecessary hassle

Glad it worked :mrgreen:

I suspected as much, as Pioneer Europe makes a distinction between original, native HD3-II ( or Z3s) and upgraded HD1/HD3 (or Z1 / Z2s upgraded to Z3 ) ....