AVIC411.com

Longtime AVX and AVIC Owner, Hates the F900BT

Maybe it's just me but I must say that the F900BT is probably the worst piece of engineering Pioneer has ever released (or should I say PRE-Released). I have Owned AVICs since their inception and even a couple back when it was the AVX series.

I can't believe I gave away my Z2.

I'm posting this as more of a venting but if anyone else experiences these problems or furthermore has found useful workarounds let me know, I would love to try them. The unit is using the latest firmware update from a Pioneer SD card and I have reapplied the update because my dealer and I were concerned that it may not have taken the first time.

Using the Ipod - When using the Ipod interface after about 2 minutes the screen will no longer react to touch commands. You can still advance tracks using the directional/volume control but no touchscreen. If you hit the Menu Hardbutton and navigate back into the iPod you have control once again (for 2 minutes)

Using the SD Card slot - This slot is pretty useless for sound files in my opinion. If you are listening to a track on the SD card and decide that you need gas, pull over, get gas and when you start the car back up you get to start the same track over. This is especially annoying when you are listening to audiobooks because some tracks can be up to 20 minutes or more in length and the Fast Forward ability is LAME. All in all this stupid mistake makes the SD Card slot all but worthless (except for the constant software updates that Pioneer will no doubt be sending our way). No idea why I even bother.

Using the CD Player - Well at least they got something right, the CD Player and MP3 Player functions perform well and go figure, when you stop the car it keeps you at the same place you were listening when you start back up.

Using the MSN Direct - The service works pretty well except the Movie times, weather etc. randomly disappear and randomly give me New York Theaters when I am in New Haven, CT roughly 70 miles away.

Using the GPS Navigation - GPS works pretty well although I like the Z2 interface a bit better from an ease of use perspective. The Z2 had more hard buttons that gave me a bit faster way of cancelling or starting a route.

XM, FM, AM and HD Radio - all functions work pretty well.

Which Leads to:

Bluetooth Integration - Besides the fact that it doesn't echo like all the Z series products Bluetooth modules did EVERYTHING about this is buggy, buggy buggy. When receiving a call the unit promptly displays the incoming number overlaid on the current source, etc. You can answer by the phone or by pressing on the screen (green off hook). The sound quality is great in contrast to the unacceptable Z series performance. But that is where the acceptability ends.

When a call is disconnected the unit will continue to display the layover, sometimes for as long as 4 minutes before music resumes or worse yet before you can answer another call! I run 3 businesses out of my car my phone doesn't typically have 4 minutes of down time all too often.

When you originate a call from your phone the unit ALWAYS switches to the Map screen. WHY?!?!?!? This is obviously a bug since it does not do so when a call comes in, ONLY if it is originated from the phone. This is stupid and annoying and makes me think I should have waited until this product was actually finished from a software standpoint before I purchased it (I though 6 months was enough, obviously not).

The phonebook transfer cannot handle all of my contacts. So here I am with my $300 blackberry that plays video, music, does email, GPS, makes phone calls, texts and can browse the web and appearently they left me more memory for phone numbers than my $1k Headunit that has a phonebook. Hey Pioneer did you BOTHER to do an market research before you did this or like most Japanese companies did you just assume you KNEW what consumers wanted, which is obviously a buggy head unit.

In closing - The unit is OK at best but besides the Bluetooth there is nothing about it that exceeds or even meets the quality of my Z2. The startup time takes twice as long and the unit constantly hangs up , ignores commands from the Touchscreen and hard buttons (don't get me started about having to hit the control 14 times to give it a voice command) and all in all operationally is poor.

Shame on you Pioneer for pre-releasing such an unprepared product, looks like I need to find another vendor in the future.

P.S. As a business owner I would never hand such an embarrassing product to my clients. One of my businesses specializes in High End home automation systems for affluent clients and if I was to every design such an intermittent user interface for my clients touchpanels I would likely never get business from them again.

Well my friend I would love to say you're wrong but your findings are completely true. I was so frustrated to have spent lots of money on this device. Even seeing Kenwood with Garmin, JVC and Alpine units Pioneer seems to behind the game and the worde is they still think they have created the most advanced car entertainment solution if you read some topics in the forum.

I highly doubt they can sort out this in s short time or event in a longer time too.

All I can ask is whether you have used the latest bluetooth update which is seperate to the latest firmware update. That solves the bluetooth related problems. It's version is 3.30

Try it and I hope it works for you as well. Good luck

Most of us on this site are not having issues to the extent you claim. You may have a defective unit and might need to see about an exchange. Also, there are extensive hacks for these units that make them much easier and desirable to use for navi. Search the hacks and mods section on the F series forum if your interested.

Even seeing Kenwood with Garmin, JVC and Alpine units Pioneer seems to behind the game and the worde is they still think they have created the most advanced car entertainment solution if you read some topics in the forum./quote]

I'm interested in what you would think the competition is?

I know for sure it's not the JVC KD-AVX44 since I tried one and it was dreadful as far as interface design compared to the Pioneer, the iPod functionality was barely usable. It was exactly the same price to me as the F700BT.

We're talking the under $1000 market here, since that's the going street price on the F-series lately.

Diane

I am not sure what someone expects, but pre 2.0 was warrented this complaint list, now though I do agree the blue tooth infromation bar does hang a bit too long.

Other then that, I ahve no issues with touch screen, or other command lags. I find however a lot of the time its not touching the button, perhaps I should go doa screen calibration.

I for one am very happy with this uni tnow, especially with the tweaks shown in the hacks forum. They are very easy to implement as well or go back if you need to.

I would say go back to the prior unit, most of us here are very happy with this unit, especially considering the shape it was in prior to oct 29th.

I am positive this is the best all in one nav unit on the market right now, fits my desires for an all in one system perfectly and I think this unit is worth some defending.

It is possible your unit is having issues, its software wasn't updated yet to 2.0 or there is some user error going on, so dont be so quick to bash the unit, because from what your saying, it sounds like a different unit then mine.