AVIC411.com

IP bus cable HELP!!

Last Sunday I was installing a TV tuner for my D2, and I don't know what I was thinking/doing, but I ended up cutting my IP bus cable in half :shock: I know; I'm a dumb*ss, you don't need to tell me that, I've cursed myself about 100 times already.

Anyway, I stripped back all the insulation very carefully, and resoldered all the wires together, hooked it all back up, and guess what?! IT DOESN'T WORK!

I did a continuity test and found out the Pin #3 (Ground) and Pin #7 (Lch) are continuous, when I'm assuming they shouldn't be. My problem is that I don't know which color wire #3 and #7 are. There are 5 different grounds in the IP bus connector. Does anyone know what color the wires are?

Also, besides the correct pins being continuous, does anything else need to be connected. What about the metal jacket at the connectors? When I checked with my meter, those were not continuous; are they supposed to be? Would someone mind checking quickly with a multimeter?

Last question, I promise; the bigger pin in the middle of the connector, those are just structural, right? I didn't find them to be continuous with anything. If I'm wrong please let me know.

I appreciate all your help.

Thanks
Matt
Alright, well I figured it out myself; no help from you guys 8)

Anyway, each pin is only supposed to be continuous with the corresponding pin on the opposite end of the cable.

When you strip back the main insulation, there are 3 larger wires (blue, gray, black) and two thinner ones (grey and orange). Inside each of the larger is a ground mesh that surrounds two other wires. The first color is the color of the thicker wire, and the second color is the color of the wire inside of that thicker wire. Ground refers to the mesh and for ones with other one color, those are the two thinner wires.

Pin # Color
1 Black - Red
2 Black - Ground
3 Blue - Ground
4 Gray
5 Black - White
6 Gray - Ground
7 Blue - Blue
8 Orange
9 Gray - Yellow
10 Gray - Brown
11 Blue - Black

When you are soldering these wires, together, be very, very careful. The wires are extremely thin; I didn't have wire strippers that could handle wires that small. Use a pair of needle nose and cutters, and put the pliers right below the cutters and slowly squeeze the cutter and pull up. Also, don't leave the soldering iron on the wire for very long. Barely touch the iron to the wire otherwise you will heat the wire up too much and it'll melt the insulation further down inside the cable and short out with other wires. It also helps to do continuity tests while you are connecting the wire to make sure you're not messing up. The wires and space are very small, and the cable will not function if a wire is grounded when its not supposed to be.

OR, you may just want to go on eBay and get a new cable for $20 :lol: but that takes the fun out of it.