AVIC411.com

Installer won't do the july 06 bypass

Hey, im getting my avic z1 installed tommorow,

and the shop i'm going to said they won't do the bypass for hte 7/06 units because he said grounding the parking brake wire is illegal?

is it really illegal? and why?

I'd really like to get the bypass and this is the best shop in my area, anything that would help me convince him its not illegal. thanks...
It is against Federal law to have video playback in view of the driver. The bypass gives full video capabilities while in motion. The excuse that the video is for the passenger is moot, since it is still in view of the driver. If you had happened to get into an accident and the cause of the accident was ruled that video was being watched in the front seat (even if it really weren't), the person/business who did the bypass might be legally responsible. I'd hate for any installer to find out...
Best thing to do then is to have them ground the "secret" connector 2 wire for you. Then ask them to hook the parking brake wire to the parking brake but ask them to route the wire so that you can "see it" under the dash or something. If it's somewhat exposed, when you get your car, you can then cut the wire going to the parking brake and then ground it yourself.
You can ground the wires yourself after the install. I had never installed a radio before but I wired in DB circuit after I had my unit installed.

The hardest thing is knowing how to take the dash apart to get at the radio. Some are easier than others but your installer can tell you how to do it.