AVIC411.com

F90bt- Rebooting caused by bass?

Hi, I did search but didn't find any result similar to my issue.

I have an F90bt, and it keeps rebooting when the bass is high enough.

When I use "Powerful" in EQ setting, Loudness to "Mid", and when the volume goes pass 15, my HU would reboot if the bass of the music is high enough.

If i pick "flat" in EQ setting and change loudness to "off", the unit would reboot when the volume goes pass around 25 when the bass kicks in.

What could be wrong?

I have a '05 Mercedes-Benz C-class with stock H/K speakers.

Do your headlights dim when the bass hits? My first guess would be the draw from the amp is causing a large enough voltage drop that the head unit reboots... How big is your sub amp?

I don't know if Mercedes need the "big 3" upgrades, but that would be my first suggestion, if this is the problem... A capacitor could help as well, but upgrading the electrical system overall is the better solution...

Do your headlights dim when the bass hits?

Hey, thanks for the reply.

I didn't pay attention on the headlight, I'll go check it later.

My first guess would be the draw from the amp is causing a large enough voltage drop that the head unit reboots... How big is your sub amp?

I dont think I have a sub amp, all I did was bypassing the stock amp and run the speaker wires straight from the new HU- some members on a MB forum suggested me to install my HU this way so I dont have to worry about the fiber optic system on my car... Would this be a possible cause?

I don't know if Mercedes need the "big 3" upgrades, but that would be my first suggestion, if this is the problem... A capacitor could help as well, but upgrading the electrical system overall is the better solution...

Can you explain more on this upgradge? Sorry I'm a total noob in this field.

for sure...that should solve your problem. only other issue that could cause your problem is the ohms of the factory speakers. if you ran wires directly to the speakers and bypassed the amp, make sure they are 4 ohms on each speaker output. if its anything lower, the avic's amp can't handle that and that would also cause it to shut off b/c the amp is being over worked and could cause the radio to reset.

One more question, looking at the diagram, I believe that I connected my front speakers from the F90BT to 3 and 4 together (since one one set of wires connect them both) and the rears to 5, does that make it 4 ohms for each set?

Again, sorry I'm noob in these stuff, so please dont flame me if its a stupid question.

post-24510-12872756718489_thumb.jpg

OK sorry, I misread your first post and assumed you had subs installed...

If you've wired up more than one speaker to each speaker output, this could be a good or a bad thing. If I remember correctly, the internal amp only wants a 4-8 ohm load on each channel. If you've got 2 ohm speakers, depending on how you wired them, you could be running either a 1 ohm, or 4 ohm load.

If you ran them in parallel, you've got a 1 ohm load.

Parallel would be something like:

spkr A          spkr B
       \     /
     source wire

(Basically connect both speakers' positive terminals to the source's positive lead, and both negative terminals to the negative lead)

If you ran them in series, you've got a 4 ohm load (and are safe).

(EDIT: These numbers are assuming that the speakers are 2 ohms each, NOT that the 2 speakers together make a 2 ohm load... I can't really see the text on the diagram, but I think it says the speakers are 2 ohms each)

series would look something like

|spkr A|   |spkr B|
source + >>|+   - |>>>|+   - | >> source -

(source's positive lead connect to Speaker A's positive terminal, Speaker A's negative terminal connected to Speaker B's positive terminal, and Speaker B's negative terminal connected to the negative lead.)

Based on the diagram, unfortunately, they're in parallel, and this would definitely explain why the unit is rebooting when you push the amp. Rewiring them into series would be quite an undertaking in most situations...

I'm having the same problem in my 2005 F-150. I think I'm going to go back to the place that installed it and have them run a constant power wire.

One other thing, whenever I turn the unit on with an iPod connected it will go into a constant reboot, do you think this has to do with the power issue as well?