AVIC411.com

compared to "sync"

I've used both, it's clear Ford had more time in development, but the two share a common base, and I'm sure a lot of common toolkits that were supplied over time.

Ford's voices are clearer and less "mechanical" it's VR seems to be more accurate too. But Ford never had to do any of the navigation display or map routing that the AVIC-F series has had to do, I'm sure that takes memory, horsepower, and resources away from better VR.

I've used both, it's clear Ford had more time in development, but the two share a common base, and I'm sure a lot of common toolkits that were supplied over time.

Ford's voices are clearer and less "mechanical" it's VR seems to be more accurate too. But Ford never had to do any of the navigation display or map routing that the AVIC-F series has had to do, I'm sure that takes memory, horsepower, and resources away from better VR.

Not true, Sync on the Lincoln MKS includes navigation. It even pops up the closest gas stations when the gas tank gets low. I suspect Ford Sync has more memory and greater processor speed.

Not true, Sync on the Lincoln MKS includes navigation. It even pops up the closest gas stations when the gas tank gets low. I suspect Ford Sync has more memory and greater processor speed.

ahh above my paygrade, I've driven Fusions, Focus' and an Escape, and I know the next gen Sync was ready to do navigation.

But I do think Ford spent more time and money finessing it, the base functionality on the 2 is very similar, and as I said, I think they probably got the same help and toolkits for development from MS as they were moving forward. The AVIC's are definitely the closest to the Sync I've seen for aftermarket so far, but there were some very cool units at CES last week.

Personally, I'm incredibly underwhelmed by the VR on this unit. I've been using MS Voice Command on my cellphone for the past 2+ years, and it's leaps and bounds ahead of the technology on the headunit, especially when it comes to recognizing spoken phone numbers and phone book integration.

I haven't used Sync, so I can't really comment on how it compares, but suffice to say I'm not impressed with the integration of the components on my F90BT (the way the components interact with one another)... Hopefully the next firmware update will improve some of this...