AVIC411.com

Couple of questions dealing with back up camera

Need a little bit of help if you folks don't mind.

I installed a D3 in my 2004 F250 last year and it works great. I'm adding a backup camera, which I'm also going to use as a rear view. So I'm going to wire the camera to a Acc. powered wire. First question is where can I find the reverse wire to have my unit switch to rear view when I back up? I tried searching and couldn't find anything specific to my truck.

Second question, the camera I'm buying is a CCD mini camera which can either be powered by a 9V battery OR plugged into an A/C outlet. It's Not a vehicle camera specifically, but it is weather proof and small enough to work perfectly. So my question is this...if rather than connect it to a 9V battery and since I don't have an A/C outlet to plug it into, if I splice it into the 12V wiring on the truck, will it cause any problems? Would there be any advantage to using an inline fuse?

• 2 weeks later...
Need a little bit of help if you folks don't mind.

I installed a D3 in my 2004 F250 last year and it works great. I'm adding a backup camera, which I'm also going to use as a rear view. So I'm going to wire the camera to a Acc. powered wire. First question is where can I find the reverse wire to have my unit switch to rear view when I back up? I tried searching and couldn't find anything specific to my truck.

Second question, the camera I'm buying is a CCD mini camera which can either be powered by a 9V battery OR plugged into an A/C outlet. It's Not a vehicle camera specifically, but it is weather proof and small enough to work perfectly. So my question is this...if rather than connect it to a 9V battery and since I don't have an A/C outlet to plug it into, if I splice it into the 12V wiring on the truck, will it cause any problems? Would there be any advantage to using an inline fuse?

The Avic Documentation wants you to wire the reverse sensor right into the Reverse light. The cord supplied should be plenty long enough to connect to that light on the back of your truck (the light that comes on when you are in reverse, NOT the Brake light). The cord that comes with it has a built in resistor (or diode, or fuse) im not friggin sure i cant remember to ensure there is no electrical problem. Essentially that light acts like the "switch". that lets the D3 know when you are in reverse.

Additionally, i see no problems with the camera you specified, provided it has an RCA out to connect to teh D3. Always Always ALWAYS use an inline fuse unless you want to fry something. Personally id just sap off the +12V of your cig lighter and run it to the back of your truck, that way you have the Cig Lighter fuse (10-20A) plus your inline fuse (1A max probably)

Good luck,

~Jason