AVIC411.com

Some mp3 songs got cut off in the last few second

i typically rip @ 256 or 320 kbps, and usually re-encode any downloaded vbr files...

what you just described doing is called transcoding and makes your songs sound like crap

if you download variable bit rate mp3 and encode them to a flat 320 or whatever youre transcoding and ruining the sound quality. try to get it in the format you prefer, or if you can't just get FLAC and burn it to a disc and rip them that way.

but DONT UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES re-rip something unless its FLAC

just a tip for sound quality

i typically rip @ 256 or 320 kbps, and usually re-encode any downloaded vbr files...

what you just described doing is called transcoding and makes your songs sound like crap

if you download variable bit rate mp3 and encode them to a flat 320 or whatever youre transcoding and ruining the sound quality. try to get it in the format you prefer, or if you can't just get FLAC and burn it to a disc and rip them that way.

but DONT UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES re-rip something unless its FLAC

just a tip for sound quality

yeah.. i'm very aware of the negative effects of transcoding. although i avoid low bitrate and vbr mp3 files most of the time, once in a while i'm only able to find an album in vbr. in those rare situations, i'll take what i get. i have an old sansa mp3 player that doesn't support vbr, so for years i've had to convert vbr mp3 to a standard bitrate. i definitely prefer to *not* do this. once i find a better copy, i do replace the transcoded files.

in regards to flac, i made a decision a long time ago that the only time i'd keep flac audio files were for bootleg concerts, whereas cd albums sound "good enough" as mp3s. (keeping in mind that the only time any of these files are played are in my truck on the f90, or on my old sansa!)

thanks for the tip for others who don't know though!

• 2 months later...

I'm a new F90BT owner who's library must be half LAME! About 50% of my MP3s get cut off when played via USB or SD card in this unit. I went to the store where I bought it and tried it in an AVIC-F700BT and another f90BT on display and both cut off on the same songs. Looks like a design flaw or shared SW bug. Interesting to see that one of the Pioneer non-NAV models plays the songs OK off a USB thmb drive. Must not use the same SW or design.

Sad to see that the MS software in an expensive unit like this would have such a problem and not get fixed. makes it unusable for me.

I returned to the store and they've agreed to take the unit back. But I got them to agree to wait until the new models show up in a month and we can try those out and they will still honor my 30 day satisfaction garantee. I'm hoping this got fixed in the new line. Otherwise It will be time for another brand of NAV for me.

It would be nice if a Pioneer rep could verify if the MP3 cutoff is fixed but I've found no way to get them to respond so far.

bump i just started noticeing this :(

ok so i looked at some of the files that skipped and some of the files that don't. i dont think LAME encoder is to blame. some of the files i have that do not skip are encoded with LAME in VBR and they play fine. i only recently started seeing this problem after the 3 gig mark on my SD card

Haven't tried myself - and it's just an idea...maybe the "allocation unit size" being defined for a SD card during the format could cause this problem?

I'm talking about THIS format dialogue on the pc:

format-removable-disk-e-windows-xp.jpg

Try to use different sizes to see, if this could cause/solve the problems.

I don't know exactly how media like USB sticks or memory card work, but on hard disks everything is managed in so-called blocks. And if the AVIC reads block-by-block (e.g. 8KB blocks) and the unit size of the SD card is organized differently, then it *could* be a reason.

But like I said...just an idea. Don't have time to check it now, because my TMC isn't still working (and the cut-off of the last seconds from the SD card (I do experience also on my 8GB SDHC Type 6 card!) is priority 2 ;-)

• 3 weeks later...

Hello everyone,

I am having the exact same issue. My MP3s are getting cut off on my Pioneer AVIC900BT. It does not matter whether or not I am playing from a flash card or through the USB connection to the AVIC. They both cut off.

I have not experimented or trouble-shooted the problem too much. Most of MP3s are ripped with the LAME encoder using VBR. I have some MP3s that were purchased from EMusic, which I think we ripped with a different encoder than LAME. It does not seem to matter which encoder was used. The amount of time that is cut off of the end of the song does not seem to stay the same. It varies greatly.

My songs are starting to get cut off about 70% to 90%, depending on the album. It is driving me crazy!!

I love the GPS navigation part of my unit but I hate this issue. I think this qualifies the unit as defective.

Interestingly enough, when we hooked up the IPOD through the USB connection, it refused to play the audio through connection even though it acted like it should play.

I called tech support and I am sending the unit in for repair. They act like they have never heard of this issue before, which seems crazy since everyone here is experiencing the same issue so it means it is a wide spread issue.

There is another firmware update coming out in June / July, which I confirmed with tech support, v2.006 or something like that. [just confirmed it]. Has anyone tried this? Does it fix the issue?

Does anyone have any other ideas on what to check?

• 2 months later...
I'm a new F90BT owner who's library must be half LAME! About 50% of my MP3s get cut off when played via USB or SD card in this unit. I went to the store where I bought it and tried it in an AVIC-F700BT and another f90BT on display and both cut off on the same songs. Looks like a design flaw or shared SW bug. Interesting to see that one of the Pioneer non-NAV models plays the songs OK off a USB thmb drive. Must not use the same SW or design.

Sad to see that the MS software in an expensive unit like this would have such a problem and not get fixed. makes it unusable for me.

I returned to the store and they've agreed to take the unit back. But I got them to agree to wait until the new models show up in a month and we can try those out and they will still honor my 30 day satisfaction garantee. I'm hoping this got fixed in the new line. Otherwise It will be time for another brand of NAV for me.

It would be nice if a Pioneer rep could verify if the MP3 cutoff is fixed but I've found no way to get them to respond so far.

UPDATE: Mid August I got the new x910BT unit with 3.0 firmware and the song cutoff is cured. The remianing problem is that USB/SD MP3 support for more than about 600 files is very unreliable. At 1200 songs it takes 5 minutes to boot up teh SD card, then hangs the unit between songs, especially in random play mode. I'm hoping the Pioneer or MS folks read these forums and work to fix this problem. An expensive unit like this should handle 50k MP3s just fine.