AVIC411.com

What tool would you suggest?

MegamanX, bottom line is you're not building a rocket or performing surgery as compared to in a previous post. You're installing a radio and you're going to buy all the pieces needed to make it as easy as possible. You have pictured instructions on taking apart the dash, color coded wires to hook it up, and the right dash kit to mount it in. And if that isn't enough, the unit also has a detailed installation manual to help you. The steering wheel module is not too difficult if you read the instructions and follow them as exactly specified for your Scion xB

Grounding the parking brake wire means connecting it to a negative, either by screwing it to bare metal on the vehicle itself with a ring and a self tapping screw, or simply splicing into the BLACK wire off the avic harness. But that's not all you have to do to bypass it, depending on which way you go you either have to move a wire in the plug and ground that as well or modify an internal file in the unit itself. Both methods can be found in the hacks/mods section with detailed instructions. Don't let someone discourage you, it's not difficult. And if it gives any more credibility to what Im telling you, I also work at an "installation bay". Good Luck and post results.

-CMIYC

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

MegamanX, bottom line is you're not building a rocket or performing surgery as compared to in a previous post. You're installing a radio and you're going to buy all the pieces needed to make it as easy as possible. You have pictured instructions on taking apart the dash, color coded wires to hook it up, and the right dash kit to mount it in. And if that isn't enough, the unit also has a detailed installation manual to help you. The steering wheel module is not too difficult if you read the instructions and follow them as exactly specified for your Scion xB

Grounding the parking brake wire means connecting it to a negative, either by screwing it to bare metal on the vehicle itself with a ring and a self tapping screw, or simply splicing into the BLACK wire off the avic harness. But that's not all you have to do to bypass it, depending on which way you go you either have to move a wire in the plug and ground that as well or modify an internal file in the unit itself. Both methods can be found in the hacks/mods section with detailed instructions. Don't let someone discourage you, it's not difficult. And if it gives any more credibility to what Im telling you, I also work at an "installation bay". Good Luck and post results.

-CMIYC

thanks for your help man, I'm almost ready to take this project on. I got a question for you, how do you usually take off the dash panels and such that are held on with clips? I was thinking about using a screwdriver with a piece of cloth over or tape over it maybe and crowbar style out the dash panels.

Also, I'm doing the software bypass, so I know I will ground the parking wire coming out of the headunit, but what about the other end? The end coming from the Parking Brake, do I ground that as well, or just tape it up the tip and leave it hanging somewhere?

I wouldn't use a flathead screwdriver. If you go to use it and the screwdriver slips, you can have a nice scratch on your dash. And tape wont be too effective since the corners can tear through the tape thus rendering the tape useless. In the shop we use what we call "blue tools", they're like little plastic crowbars of different shapes that won't scratch the panels. Obviously with this being your first job you probably don't have those tools, and I don't know off the top of my head what can be a subsitute, maybe another member will have a suggestion.

As far as the parking brake wire, you are not touching the vehicles parking brake wire at all. You are only going to tamper with the light green parking brake wire on the avic power harness. all you have to do is cut it to about 4", strip off about 3/4", then cut back some insulation on the black wire to expose the wire inside, wrap the light green tightly about the exposed black wire, and solder/heat shrink or tape. Then do the software part.

CMIYC has a good point here guys.

This stuff isn't Rocket Science... IF you have some technical ability and a little bit of confidence and maybe a lot of patience, you can probably pull it off.

Just take your time, get the right tools for the job, (including adapters, pac units if needed) follow the instructions and ask questions if needed...

That's what the forums are for.

Plus, a scion is a pretty straight forward install...

If you don't feel comfortable, hire a pro... otherwise, go for it, but TAKE YOUR TIME and do it right.

I agree it's not rocket science, however, someone who has never delt with electronics and vehicle wiring could do damage to either their vehicle or head unit if not done correctly. I've seen it happen many times, and some of the instructions I was pointing out weren't quite getting through (hence me being skeptical) however, I think he's catching on so I'm feeling more comfortable with MegaMan X simply by the amount of research he's done and the questions he's asking, plus he's making sure he fully understands everything prior to jumping into it. Like the others mentioned, take your time, double check your connections, make sure they're secure, and don't forget to disconnect the vehicles battery before you start.

thanks for the vote of confidence guys, here's a little off topic question I want to ask, and perhaps you guys can answer....

I want to install this switch:

12VDC Toggle Switch with Safety Cover

pRS1C-2160402_rshalt1_dt.jpg

From what I understand about electrical wiring right now...

This switch on the bottom has a "POWER" which I assume I should wire the power (duh), "ACC" goes to whatever it is you trying to turn on with the switch, "GROUND" goes to ground (I'll would just tied it to a bolt/screw on the car)

Would I be able to use this:

Wire Tap-In Squeeze Connectors

pRS1C-2266845w345.jpg

and draw power to the switch without any splicing/cutting/soldering of wires?

I was going to wire tap it into the wiring harness power :D

I was also going to drill a hole in one of my car blanks, and install it there...see attached pic

5.jpg

Because I'm taking apart the center console already, I figure I do it for fun, and it'll look like a NOS switch! haha...

but in all honesty, I wouldn't have an idea what this switch would do, any suggestions?? :)

NOw that's a funny question...

You want to put in a switch, but you don't NEED it, so you want some suggestions...

I like it!..

How you buy some cool interior accent lighting (not the cheezy under dash neons, but some cool led stuff, and run them to this switch?

How you buy some cool interior accent lighting (not the cheezy under dash neons, but some cool led stuff, and run them to this switch?

A fine suggestion. With some LED's and some creativity, you can add nice touches to your interior.

Never was a fan of under dash neons, only the under dash blacklights caught my interest.

You can use those, but sometimes they don't cut into the wire enough to make a good connection. There's a few different ways to make connections, just soldering is by far the best way to establish a scure and clean connection.

X2...

most of us who have installed for a living would tell you that those connectors work great... but only about 1/2 the time :lol: I avoid em at all costs.

There is another crimp type connector that has a female spade terminal inside it and attach your new wire with a male spade terminal and then just slide it in... it's removable and they usually have a better connection, but I STILL don't like those as much as I like cutting, splicing and soldering with heat shrink... Sure, it takes longer, but it's pretty much a bulletproof way to do it.

First off, you should be posting at www.Scionlife.com, they can give you step by step instructions for the xB if you use the search button. I own a tC and did this radio install in 1 hour, yours should be about that fast or a bit longer based on skill. Did I mention I have a degree in electronics? :P

Did you read that he has no experience and 90% of his questions are avic related? how is a scion forum gonna help him more than an avic forum other than how to disassemble the dash? :roll:

So I'm trying to wire a pre-wired LED that has a black/red cable:

501.jpg

1.) I want to know what my wiring situation would be. I'm thinking the Red (LED) wire goes to ACC (middle) on switch. Black (LED) wire is grounded. Power on "switch" will connect to power on cigarette lighter. Ground on "switch" will be grounded. Somebody please correct me if I got this whole wiring situation messed up.

2.) What are the general color wires am I looking for on the Cigarette lighter? Does anybody have a picture?