AVIC411.com

Wire bypass no need to remove mute wire

Ok I just installed a f700bt in my wife's Chevy Venture on Thurs afternoon I waited until today to post to mak sure this is good and works 100%. what i did was insted of pulling out the mute wire and moving it I used a 22 gauge wire and I placed it in the 4 pin wire hole, I made sure the wire went al the way through and out the other sie of the white harness i then bent it over the harness just a little so it would not move I then put the harness in the f700bt and i pulled on the wire slightly to make sure it was snug and it was I gthen grounded both the parking brake wire ( light green wire ) and the new wire I put into the wire harness and grounded them both. i have driven around 800 900 miles with it like this over some tough roads I had to go in to baltimore nough said and it has held up all functions are usable phone navigation and viewing movies from the sd card. I got the idea from my cousin he's an electrician and he happened to stop by why I was starting the install and he told me what to do when I questined him on how this could work he explained it very simple to me he said as long as the wire is touching the pin in the radio it will work and be grounded and sure nough working fine so for those who dont want to remove there mute wire this works and is proven.

Yes it is an effective alternative, but moving the wire is a much more secure method because of how the wire locks into place, as opposed to a wire bent around the hole. With enough tension on that wire it could easily pull out, as opposed to the mute wire method which would require a lot more force to pull out

Yes Thats true but several owners have reported that they have broken there mute wire because they couldnt get the wire out or they couldnt get the wire in the new position. i was skeptical at first my self when my cousin explained how to do it, but after I did it per his instructions it is as secure as the other method when I placed the harness in I gave that wire a good tug and I mean a tug and no movement but as my cousin explained and he would know, the key is getting the right size wire 22 gauge and the way you do it when the wire goes through the front of the harness and you bend it back once you push the harness in and the pin from the radio from the inside hits it the size of the wire and the pin meeting makes it secure. just another way to do it to make it easy for some people who dont want to try and remove the mute wire to do.

Your method should work but like Catch said it's probably not secure enough. Besides, moving the wire over is a much cleaner way of doing it.

When I was test-fitting mine the unit would restart every time I moved it somewhat and I narrowed it down to the ground wire that looked like it was secure but it was moving just slightly causing it to lose power.

On the plus side if you do start to get warnings you'll know what the problem is :)

Just an update unit is still working fine and no problems with the bypass working this way. wire still secure.

yup, it will work just fine and dandy, until it doesn't anymore.

Sorry, but just shoving a wire into a connector, no matter how involved and different you make it is far less effective then moving the properly installed connector.

I wasn't aware of the mute wire moving being that insanely difficult of a task that we needed alternatives.

This indeed does fall under the category of a hack, and I can't possibly see recommending it to anyone.

of course that's IMNSHO