AVIC411.com

What the hell? Blowing off steam

As much as I love my AVIC, the damn thing pisses me off to no end. It refuses to give me simple directions. For whatever damn reason, it loves to send me along a road, turn me off, send me along a parallel road, then put me back on the original road. It not only takes more time, but its a longer distance. It does this all the damn time. Like today, when I was double checking a location for something that was just further down the road I was already on, it tried to make me get off the road and run a 2 mile longer course.

It seems to me like the damn system has it in for me. Does this all the damn time.

Fucking pisses me off

I usually do use google. But now that I have the damn system, Id much rather use that and save the googling time and paper.

What blackh8552 is saying is "see if google is giving you the same directions as the AVIC" not "you should use google"

Google is regarded as having the best route algorithms out there, if the AVIC is agreeing Google, then even if it's a mistake, you won't get better directions, since they all are using the same base logic.

There are areas where all nav units get confused, I have 2 on my commute, the AVIC and my Garmin always make the same mistake, I know better and don't turn into the lake ;)

Also look at your nav settings, there are options like Use Highways, Avoid Highways, fastest, it's Chapter 25 in the manual, look at page 128

The first time I used the nav system was on a route that I knew well thanks to google. It tried to send me, as said before, off the main road, onto a parallel road (for about a block), then back on the main road entirely for no reason.

As for the systems, theyre set logically, and nothing much changes when I adjust them. This usually happens from one main suburban road to another suburban road.

Whatever. Technology isnt perfect.

Oh yea... I was having the same problem the other day.... It was trying to tell me to turn left but that was impossible since there is a guard rail to the left! I had to turn right to use the exit and then proceed in a circle and go under the overpass. The map was right... it showed the exit but kept telling me to go left. Which was correct in a way since that was the way you have to go... but you just cant phsyically turn left!

Oh and one more thing...My brother was going to get the avic but it was going to cost another 200 dollars for the harness kit..( something to do with onstar???) So he bought a garmin system and I must say I like the maps that it has. There is more information on them. They even have road numbers for the unnamed roads, where the avic will just say unnamed road near so and so! If I get brave I might try leets hacks and get garmin maps on my avic!!

Aren't the google maps the same as what the avic usues? Teleatlas??

Didn't Google switch to Navteq recently?

In any case, it is both maps and routing algorythms that are in play here. While iGO is reputed to have the best ones on the market, it needs good mapping data to make use of them.

BTW, AVIC has most of the data Garmin has, you just need to turn some of the information on...

In any case, it is both maps and routing algorythms that are in play here. While iGO is reputed to have the best ones on the market, it needs good mapping data to make use of them.

BTW, AVIC has most of the data Garmin has, you just need to turn some of the information on...

I have my map setting on High? Is there any other setting?

I have my map setting on High? Is there any other setting?

Since we get a rather primitive skin from Pioneer, you need to hack navigatemap files and/or SYS.TXT to turn some of the features on.

I just went on google maps and at the bottom it says....Google map data 2009 tele atlas C

It's not that map data that makes Google king of the hill, it's the directions algorithms.

Think of it this way, you can have the best guitar in the world, that doesn't make you play like Clapton..

I just went on google maps and at the bottom it says....Google map data 2009 tele atlas C

Or may be they have switched to TeleAtlas from Navteq... In any case, they have 2009 maps, supposedly. Stock maps on AVIC are 2007...