AVIC411.com

Need help, wiring issue during install

On VAG vehicles it can be a little tricky to get the accessory wire hooked up to the factory harness so you might want to try to tap a fuse that controls something that only had power when key is on ACC (i.e. windshield wipers).

What you are describing sounds like you have the Acc wire hooked up to a constant 12v.

if I unplug the antenna, it cuts off,

Your ground wire from the AVIC (black wire) is not correctly connected to the car's ground. The ground shield of the antenna wire is providing the power ground to the AVIC, and it was not designed to do that. You need to fix the ground wire problem. When you do, the AVIC will operate without the antenna plugged in. (Of course, there would be no radio reception.)

This doesn't help with your always on problem. The red wire to the AVIC has to be connected to a power source that switches off when you turn the key off. S4's comments are correct. In case it wasn't clear to you, the red wire must be connected to a different circuit than then yellow wire.

Does anyone know?

dude, no reason to post/bump 3 times in under 5 hours.

Yes, veedubs are a bit different, but some poking and searching around would show that others have gotten it to work in a VW of similar vintage, and the thread might even have the answers in them.

VW might be too short to search on (I think you need 4 characters) but some browsing will find those who have come before you.

Could not find anything useful when I search four or more letters that why I am posting for some help. Please keep it to yourself. Your 2 cents is not worth anything but unnecessary bickering. It's a forum dude, don't make it personal. You don't like it, skip over and don't read it.

The other two guys have been more than helpful, I just need a little more info so I can get this done. Thats why I bumped. Thanks.

Could not find anything useful when I search four or more letters that why I am posting for some help. Please keep it to yourself. Your 2 cents is not worth anything but unnecessary bickering. It's a forum dude, don't make it personal. You don't like it, skip over and don't read it.

The other two guys have been more than helpful, I just need a little more info so I can get this done. Thats why I bumped. Thanks.

http://www.avic411.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=19912

with full pictures and 3 pages of comments

It might have also helped if your subject was something VW related, how else would the other VW folks know find you to help?

The thread above is a great example of how to hit every mark, pictures, car and stereo model in the subject, etc, OmegaRed hit the ball out of the park with that.

The best way to keep all the factory features that you can is use this adapter... http://enfigcarstereo.com/shopsite_sc/store/html/PAC_C2R_VW.html

Its a little pricey but it interfaces with the computer bus just like the old radio did. In MkV VW's there is no defined ACC wire nor dimming wire, some people will dig around for other wires to tap for that (Giant PIA). All of these signal come over the computer bus: Dimming, Speed, Reverse, ACC, Parking Brake. The adapter also provides proper ground and with another module from the company will preserve your steering wheel controls. Same adapter pictured above

Its what I have in my 2008 Rabbit ad it works like a charm... The only goofiness out of it is sometimes when car is off and radio is on if you start the car the antitheft screen will come up if you have a password set on the avic. It only happens occasionally though.