AVIC411.com

AVIC-F90BT install in BMW e39 (528i)

Hey all!

Just thought i'd share some photos of my recent install done at a custom audio shop here in Philadelphia. So for all of you who were wondering whether or not it can be done.... it can! :)

At first I wanted it flush, but because of how the dash is designed, if it were flush, the passenger would have a hard time viewing the map/movies (yes bypassed) as well as the rear passengers. So it was left out about 1/4th of an inch, but wrapped with a custom piece to give the "flush" appearance.

post-28397-12872757004272_thumb.jpg

post-28397-12872757005125_thumb.jpg

post-28397-12872757006068_thumb.jpg

It makes me sad the number of people who are installing navis in cars that are simply not designed for them. I'd hate to be in front of you when you're looking down at your navi and I hit my brakes. But that's just my 2 cents on the matter...

What?

It makes me sad the number of people who are installing navis in cars that are simply not designed for them. I'd hate to be in front of you when you're looking down at your navi and I hit my brakes. But that's just my 2 cents on the matter...

What?

Cars that have a Navi option always have the slot for the stereo very high up. Take, for example, my car. Look where the stereo is:

IMG_0010.jpg

And now compare how low down the BMW stereo is. This shows the BMW was not designed for a navigation option.

What?

Lol im kinda confused, why would you want to look at the navi when it speaks to you. whether its above or below the console its still gonna be dangerous to look away from the road

my 0.02

Brad :)

I understand your concern... but the BMW Factory Navigation, rests in the same position as the F90bt

However, I do believe that the reason why most of us are on this forum is because we have upgraded our "cars not made for nav", even though this model bmw did have a nav option which was not purchased by original owner, with an aftermarket navigation

post-28397-12872757007782_thumb.jpg

Cars that have a Navi option always have the slot for the stereo very high up. Take, for example, my car. Look where the stereo is:

And now compare how low down the BMW stereo is. This shows the BMW was not designed for a navigation option.

That is absolutely not correct. In mine the OEM navigation sits in the same exact location where Avic is now.

OEM Navigation unit - http://www.autoblog.com/media/2006/03/A ... t-view.JPG

Avic - http://www.lithyem.net/audi/avic_1.jpg

Not my pics.

Gosh, what a terrible design. That really is awful in terms of usability. Love the S4, though. :) Almost bought an RS4 a while back, and cross-shopped my last car with an 2002 S4 (2.7 V6 bi-turbo, not the 4.2 V8 current version).

Anyway, I just don't think down there is a logical place for a navigation system, at all. It should be as high up as possible. That's why people mount the portables to their windscreens.

Anyway, I just don't think down there is a logical place for a navigation system, at all. It should be as high up as possible. That's why people mount the portables to their windscreens.

Well in some places portable units on windshields are illegal because of safety issues.

I don't think there is a "logical" place for them regardless where they are. If someone is not a careful driver and is messing with it while driving crap will happen regardless.

Anyway, enough of that :D

sajn.

I have the same car, where did you get it installed and how much did they charge you? Im getting quoted an arm and a leg for the same car...Thanks

There's this spot called High End Car Stereos here in Philadelphia.

They charged me about $680 for the install, but that install included running wires/cables for 2 amps, and installing 1 4-channel amp. (second amp was on its way)

The job took about 3-4 hours each time (did a install first where it stuck out about an inch, had them re-do it next day to make as flush as possible, but could've been done in 3-4 hours on the first try, if you show them an image of mine). The price jumps up a bit more, another $100, if you want to use the factory steering wheel controls.

well you could apply for a job at audi, vw, infiniti, bmw and whatever other car you think is designed incorrectly and fix it.. for now stfu and stop thread crapping on his install post.